fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 deck height

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 deck height
From: steve <colordog.1@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 06:58:24 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
If any of you are fairly new at this, be warned...

With my modified stock crank, Carillo rods, forged Wiseco pistons, and
steel-shim head gasket, my piston "kissed" the head at high RPM and I spun a
bearing.
This happened at the end of a loooooong straight at Auto Club Speedway. There
went $1,000 and a bunch of hours.  I was trying to achieve close to zero deck
height.
On the bench, the pistons came up to .003 from the top of the sleeve (this is
considered the deck, not the top of the block)
Now I'm running one of Mordy's .032 head gaskets for a little more Piston to
Head clearance.  In one of the older posts, Greg Solow recommends at least .026
total P to H clearance because the stock crank will stretch a little at high
rpm and the piston will reach up higher than it does on the engine stand in the
garage.

~STEVE