fot

Re: [Fot] Fw: VINTAGE MACHINE SHOP

To: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fw: VINTAGE MACHINE SHOP
From: Jerry Barr <jerrybarr@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:12:54 -0500
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
After high school I served a 4 year machinist apprenticeship at Allis Chalmers
in West Allis Wisconsin. I served in the heavy industry shops machining and
building large steam turbines, generators, rod and ball mills. I got to run
amazingly large machines such as 16' boring mills. I didn't get to run the 40'
boring mill but got to help running it. The bigger boring mills had basements
under them for access to the drive system,  we had a  7" boring bar with a
huge table 100 feet square come to mind. One job that was a lot of fun was
boring the main bearing bores and blade ring grooves on the high,
intermediate, and low pressure turbine housings. I would operate the machine
while the machinist was inside the housing setting the tool and could not get
out until the cut was done and the bar was disconnected. I got to run an
engine lathe that had a 12' faceplate and 100 foot long bed. We used it to
rough out the turbine main shaft before they were sent out for heat treating.
When it came back we would finish machine the shaft and cut in the blade ring
grooves. I got to operate other machines such as a 12' planer mill, 8' planer,
huge radial arm drill presses. What a wonderful experience! All this was done
before automation.