fot

Re: [Fot] 6 cyl cam bearings

To: "'Larry Young'" <cartravel@pobox.com>, <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] 6 cyl cam bearings
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 19:27:42 -0500
Larry,
Many of the parts providers sell cam bearing sets for the TR6 blocks so that
you don't have to buy two sets of Spitfire bearings.  The block needs then
to be line bored to the specs you stated.  The number of machine shops that
have the necessary machines and knowledge are becoming few and far between
so make sure you have an experienced person in your area.  I just had this
procedure performed on a block for a customer by a reputable company and the
cost was in the area of $375.00 with boring, fitting and cleaning of the
block.  You do not need to alter the camshaft in any way and any standard
diameter TR6 camshaft will fit but the bearings may need some "fitting"
which is in the cost I provided.

Now for my opinion!!!  If you are racing this engine at full bore with a
very high lift camshaft then I would not hesitate fitting the bearings but
be prepared to replace these every time you freshen the engine.  The stock
TR6 has a high chrome content and wears very little and what I have seen
over the years is more worn cams than blocks!  I have seen a good number of
street and lower power race engines with little to no wear after 80k miles!
Just my opinion!

Steve Yott