fot

Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

To: "Robert MacKenzie" <list@mackenzie.aero>, "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 00:16:22 -0500
What gets me is I ask for a part for my 1964 Spitfire, and according to
their "book" the earliest model of a Spitfire was 1972.

Nowadays I just answer "It's a race car" and they quit looking for an easy
catalogue match and now they have to find something that fits my purpose.

Most humorous was when I installed the Volkswagen radiator in the Spit, and
the hose connections both were on the opposite side from the stock Spit rad.
The top one was easy, just turned the thermostat housing to the other side.
For the bottom I went in with measurements ("I need a hose X inches long
with a 90 degree bend at the bottom end") and they just let me prowl through
their hose inventory until I found one (a Ford unit) that would work after I
cut unneeded sections off.

Fortunately, I guess, since local parts stores have nothing that goes on my
car more specific than a nut and bolt, I do most of my parts shopping by
mail-order. I have a drawer by my desk full of nothing but catalogues.

--Rocky Entriken