fot

Re: [Fot] Bristol 403

To: <fot@autox.team.net>, "Tony Drews" <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Bristol 403
From: "Terry Stetler" <tlizzard@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 07:24:41 -0400
Seal-send-time: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 07:24:41 -0400 FILETIME=[1C7F90A0:01CE6116]
The Bristol automobile was a split off of the old Bristol Aeroplane Company,
after WW2.

The early cars, like the 403 were very aerodynamic for their time, and were
powered by the famous "Bristol" inline 6.
The engine was essentially the pre WW2 BMW 6, the design and tooling for which
were given to Bristol as war booty.
This engine was also used in some AC Ace and Aceca cars.

Because of their aero, this largish car was capable of a genuine 100+ mph.

It was an advanced touring car really, what we might call now a "Gentleman's
Express".  They used theit own engine for a number of years,
then switched to V8 power sourced from Chrysler in the US.

Bristol sold vehicles from their single, factory owned showroom in London.  It
was their only dealer in the world.  They were in business until very
recently, and their fate
is now somewhat murky, but they seem to still have some parts availability for
all the older cars.

There is a North American Bristol Club, google is your friend here.

I have always been fascinated by them and would like one myself at some
point.

Terry Stetler