fot

Re: [Fot] Flight plans?

To: sbracing@sbcglobal.net, mark@bradakis.com, jhouathome@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Flight plans?
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:08:13 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Full-name: BillDentin
In a message dated 06/28/2013 8:59:33 AM Central Daylight Time,
sbracing@sbcglobal.net writes:

> Chicago O'Hare is a good choice also.  An easy drive up to RA.  Midway
> Chicago
> works too.  Sometimes the airfare costs are lower for the Chicago airports
> and
> justify the wee bit longer drive.

Mark...

IMHO (whatever that's worth), consider that Scott Barr is braver than I am
(his lap times at Blackhawk and Road America suggest this), but know I would
assign considerable worth to avoiding the complications of flying into and
out of O'Hare and/or Midway.  There is no question that there may be airfare
money to be saved by flying into O'Hare and, especially, Midway.  But there
is a reason for this...inconvenience.  And on the week end...considerable
inconvenience.   In 'good traffic' add an hour to the trip up to Road America
from O'Hare, and at least an hour and a half from Midway, and all of this
in 'Chicago related' traffic.  This might not be the end of the World if you
are coming in on Thursday, but it will have consequences on Friday, and
especially on Sunday.  Seems like half the population of Chicago tries to get
out of town EVERY weekend, and a significant part of them want to come up into
Wisconsin.  Who can blame them?  I sure would.  But this is no fun to deal
with.  You can find yourself dealing with bumper to bumper, stop and go
traffic on Interstate 94. as you try to leave or approach Chicago during these
periods.  Now add the fact that you have a plane to catch.  Know also, that
between the Illinois boarder and Milwaukee, there is considerable road
construction on Interstate 94 in Wisconsin.

I can't argue against the fact that there are dollars to be saved by flying
into O'Hare or Midway...but there are certainly other 'costs' to consider
and especially the extra time you'll need to make departure times on Sunday.
So beware.

Bill Dentinger
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com