fot

Re: [Fot] Electric connections

To: "Christopher Bock" <SeaCubeCo@aol.com>, "FoTTriumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Electric connections
From: "Bill Tobin" <william.tobin31@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 16:08:48 -0400
I've had good results with crimping.
HOWEVER, don't source your connectors from China Freight. Buy quality
connectors from an electronics store. And use a good crimper. Mine's made by
Channellock, 15 miles down the road in Meadville. I actually broke a pair of
cheapo's a few years back while crimping a connector. And pinched my finger
doing it!
Also use heat shrink tubing. It's a tube, cut to your needed lenght,  you
install over the connector (leave an inch or so beyond the connector, on the
wire) and heat it with a heat gun. It shrinks over the connector and wire
and protects the connector and wire. Acts as a strain relief. Heat shrink
comes in different sizes and colors so you can color code if you want. It's
available at most part stores. Or McMaster-Carr.
Some guys swear by soldering, but I've not had a failure with crimped
connections. Also, like welding, there's a technique to soldering that not
everybody masters.
Cheers, Bill