fot

[Fot] Put-in-Bay races

To: fot Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Put-in-Bay races
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 07:02:34 -0500

--Apple-Mail=_0FDFA2BB-97FC-48B4-B888-74FE747FEDEC

This year's featured marques at the Put-in-Bay, Ohio vintage races =
(August 27-29th) were Turner, Morgan 3-wheelers and Triple-M MGs.  =
Put-in-Bay races are for pre-1963 under-two liter cars and are run the =
old fashioned way, around hay bales.  Great atmosphere -- one friend =
said he'd been going to vintage races for 25 years and this one was the =
best recreation of old-style racing.  There were about 40 racers, I =
think, but a lot of spectators, including the local islanders, came to =
watch the racing on the taxiway and runway at the temporarily closed =
airport, and spectators were allowed a great view from up close at the =
airport terminal building.  The schedule for registered racers and =
spectators was pretty full for three days straight although racing =
occurred only on the second day because the airport is needed every day =
by the mail plane and the plane that takes high school kids to their =
school on the mainland (racing was on Wednesday). The local police led a =
quick two laps around the original race course, run on the island's =
streets.  I drove that 5000+ foot-long straight many times and could =
barely imagine flying down that long stretch, past people's front yards. =
 Corners were, of course, very tight and trees and boulders lined the =
original course.  The awards luncheon was on the second story of a =
restaurant situated right on the wharf, so we got a great view of tall =
ships coming and going in preparation for the bicentennial celebration =
of the battle of Put-in-Bay (a.k.a. the battle of Lake Erie) where =
Admiral Perry defeated the British Fleet in 1813.

Allen Goode put on a good show at the vintage road race revival at =
Put-in-Bay with his 1963  #44 TR4, coming in second to a Porsche RSK.  =
Nice folks -- I met him and his wife in the paddock where I had my =
Morgan 3-wheeler (I came in a distant last in the all-Morgan race in our =
stock V-twin powered Morgan against modified Ford-powered Morgan trikes, =
two of which ran away from the pre-war supercharged MGs).

Local boy Rich Hahn got into the exhibition group with his '66 TR4 and =
Cornell Babcock ran his '58 TR3.  Malcolm Taylor was there in a 1960 TR3 =
too.

It was a long, long haul for us (coming from Texas) but perhaps I'll go =
again someday, next time probably with our 1952 Morgan Plus 4.

Photos and links to photo sites are found at the Put-in-Bay Road Races =
Reunion Facebook page (link here:) http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f=20
 --my photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/charl10/
...and there is more information at: pibroadrace.com

Duncan Charlton
1952 Morgan Plus 4
#6 red=

--Apple-Mail=_0FDFA2BB-97FC-48B4-B888-74FE747FEDEC

-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">This =
year's featured marques at the Put-in-Bay, Ohio vintage races (August =
27-29th) were Turner, Morgan 3-wheelers and Triple-M MGs. =
&nbsp;Put-in-Bay races are for pre-1963 under-two liter cars and are run =
the old fashioned way, around hay bales. &nbsp;Great atmosphere -- one =
friend said he'd been going to vintage races for 25 years and this one =
was the best recreation of old-style racing. &nbsp;There were about 40 =
racers, I think, but a lot of spectators, including the local islanders, =
came to watch the racing on the taxiway and runway at the temporarily =
closed airport, and spectators were allowed a great view from up close =
at the airport terminal building. &nbsp;The schedule for registered =
racers and spectators was pretty full for three days straight although =
racing occurred only on the second day because the airport is needed =
every day by the mail plane and the plane that takes high school kids to =
their school on the mainland (racing was on Wednesday). The local police =
led a quick two laps around the original race course, run on the =
island's streets. &nbsp;I drove that 5000+ foot-long straight many times =
and could barely imagine flying down that long stretch, past people's =
front yards. &nbsp;Corners were, of course, very tight and trees and =
boulders lined the original course. &nbsp;The awards luncheon was on the =
second story of a restaurant situated right on the wharf, so we got a =
great view of tall ships coming and going in preparation for the =
bicentennial celebration of the battle of Put-in-Bay (a.k.a. the battle =
of Lake Erie) where Admiral Perry defeated the British Fleet in =
road race revival at Put-in-Bay with his 1963 &nbsp;#44 TR4, coming in =
second to a Porsche RSK. &nbsp;Nice folks -- I met him and his wife in =
the paddock where I had my Morgan 3-wheeler (I came in a distant last in =
the all-Morgan race in our stock V-twin powered Morgan against modified =
Ford-powered Morgan trikes, two of which ran away from the pre-war =
exhibition group with his '66 TR4 and&nbsp;Cornell Babcock ran his '58 =
TR3. &nbsp;Malcolm Taylor was there in a 1960 TR3 =
(coming from Texas) but perhaps I'll go again someday, next time =
and links to photo sites are found at the&nbsp;Put-in-Bay Road Races =
Reunion Facebook page (link here:)&nbsp;<span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"font-family: Verdana; font-size: 13px; "><b><a =
href=3D"http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f";>http://tinyurl.com/og6vo4f</a></b></sp=
an>&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;--my photos here:&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.flickr.com/photos/charl10/";>http://www.flickr.com/photo=

--Apple-Mail=_0FDFA2BB-97FC-48B4-B888-74FE747FEDEC--

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive