fot

Re: [Fot] 2013 Kastner Cup: GT6 Notes from the FRONT

To: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] 2013 Kastner Cup: GT6 Notes from the FRONT
From: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:35:23 -0400
Cc: triumph friends <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_647B11D0-E92B-435B-9FCB-B89CE61AB04F

Well written, Jason!
I can't write as eloquently as Jason on my GT6 run, but I know I had at =
least as much fun - I started near the rear, as i did not run the rain =
session and was gridded based on car number. I had a great run, though, =
climbing to 14th with some great racing along the way.  I flogged the =
car harder than perhaps I ever have, knocking two seconds a lap off my =
best previous times for the weekend.  Looking at the cars and drivers =
who finished in front of me, I have no complaints with the outcome.  =
Well, perhaps two - I think if I can get the stock brakes to run cooler =
and bite harder, I can certainly turn better times on this track.  The =
entry to turn 5 was killer, coming from 120 mph down to a mid-second =
gear turn at the end of a downhill  - as Peter Egan says, the turn =
"smokes about $10 of brake pads every lap"!  And, I know I'm leaving =
something on the table in the Kink.  But, I'm not leaving paint on the =
concrete walls there, so I guess that's a good thing!
There was a sense of comfort racing with all Triumphs - knowing many of =
the other drivers, and the feeling that the cars, all designed by the =
same people, somehow behaved in a predictable manner out on the track - =
I felt like I knew what moves they would make, more so than when racing =
Porsches, Datsuns, etc, which each dance to a different tune.  Finishing =
the race flat out up the hill on the main straight to the checkered =
flag, right next to one of Sam Halkias' TR6s, being driven by Jack =
Madison, that was a finish to remember!

I'll be back to Road America, and I hope the Cup event will be there =
again soon too. I don't think I'll beat Jason's times, though - he's out =
there performing on one tire size smaller than mine - amazing!=20

I'm still smiling, even after a 16 hour tow home.

Scott