fot

Re: [Fot] Leaf Springs TR4

To: Joe Alexander <n197tr4@cs.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Leaf Springs TR4
From: TR4 Tony <tr4.tony@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 19:05:14 +0100
Cc: keith niehaus <nieresto@gmail.com>, "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Joe

I run 185 lb 5 leaf springs on BST and still get a good deal of squat if I
really push or launch hard, but good stability in corners and limited roll.
That's a full steel bodied car with an FIA cage, so probably heavier than
yours.

My experience is if you go much harder than that the tail end gets airborne
over bumps, which whilst makes good pictures and certainly is entertaining,
isn't very quick. I also run my fuel tank in more or less the standard
position, which isn't as hard on the springs as one on the boot floor.

By contrast, on 3VC we have 7 leaf 165lb springs, but that sweet machine is all
alloy skinned, only a rear bar, big tank in the standard spot, and is
exceptionally well balanced on them. You'll see from the pics taken at the ADAC
event I went to with Chris and Kas a few years ago that 3VC hunkers down on
hard cornering because its softly sprung, but the car sticks like its glued as
a result.

I'd hesitate to go much out of this range knowing what I know, so perhaps try a
165 plus a spare middle leaf (I think they add between 15 and 20 lbs to the
rate) and swap it in and out to see what you like. I did this with BST which is
why I've settled on a repeatable spec which I can now get via TR Enterprises in
the UK.

Lastly, you might care to look at dampers too - both my cars are soft sprung /
hard damped,pointy handling and I like it this way but done very differently
due to chassis stiffness.

Regards

Tony

Sent from my iPhone