fot

Re: [Fot] Weathers Big TR Front Axles

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Weathers Big TR Front Axles
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 08:14:56 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Due to (blah blah blah blah) finally getting around to installing my
Weathers axles. I have on hand both the 2004 set and a set of the newer
ones that Uncle Jack had made up.

I recall that there was an "issue" with the elastic stop nuts provided in
the Weathers kit and used to secure the stub axle to the vertical link and
that was that the nuts are too tall hence the elastic stop ring doesn't
contact the threads on the stub axle. I assembled everything and observed
it to be the case.

The question is: for folks running the original stub axles - did you
replace the elastic stop nut with a regular grade 8 nut and washer or did
you just Loctite the provided nut? Conversely, the Uncle Jack kit uses a
regular fine thread grade 8 nut and washer and it looks like the threaded
portion is a "skosh" longer than the original Weathers axles. If you're
running the later setup, did you switch to an elastic stop nut or did you
install the grade 8 nut/washer and red Loctite as suggested in the
installation instructions.

I think I know the answers, but I wanted to toss this out there just for
the heck of it.

On a similar vein - the Weathers kit D washer for the outer bearing seems
a little small compared to the stock D washer and the one in the Uncle
Jack kit - has anyone had any "issues" with it? I (again) suspect "no",
but I wanted to hear any discussion.

And, yes, I'm a bit behind on my projects.

:-)

rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive