fot

Re: [Fot] TR-4 / TR-6 tranny layshaft bearing mod?

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR-4 / TR-6 tranny layshaft bearing mod?
From: Joe Alexander <n197tr4@cs.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 08:54:06 -0600
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Ed W.  (FOG1) can be very helpful.

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 16, 2013, at 8:46 AM, Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com> wrote:
>
> Has anyone modified the TR-4 / TR-6 tranny layshaft assembly to accept
larger, higher capacity bearings?  Turns out the root cause of my transmission
failure was the failure of the front needle bearing in the layshaft assembly.
Before I do the parts search / purchases, I thought I'd check to see if
there's a longevity improvement that can be made there.

> It's been a while since the box was apart, and let me tell you - with a
buggered up layshaft shaft the disassembly is challenging.

> I'll be replacing, input shaft, layshaft and 3rd gear at least.  Also had a
weird failure where one of the pins that the spring slides onto in the
overdrive is broken off - may have been an assembly issue.

> I may have most of the parts needed for the rebuild, we'll see what uncle
jack's tranny parts stash includes.