fot

Re: [Fot] OD units available

To: "'Guy Morter'" <vintageautoservice@yahoo.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] OD units available
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 17:16:07 -0600
Is that ever a deep question!  I am sure there are many opinions and all
would be correct.  The A-Type was I believe one of the first designs and
uses an accumulator to store oil at the operating pressure which in theory
causes nearly instant operation vs. the J-Type which has to pump up the oil
to operating pressure when engaged.  You would think this would be a slow
operating unit but they are surprisingly fast in engagement.  The J-Type
also uses a lot fewer internal and external parts which again by theory
would make it more reliable which I think it is.  I have built many A-Type
that run in street and competition and they can be very reliable too.

To keep originality the A-Type was used on TR 6's through 72 and then they
went with the J-Type and the necessary frame mount changes.  There are
adaptors available to install J-Types in earlier frames.

In the end the J-Type can be purchased a little cheaper than an A-type and
is usually cheaper to rebuild as long as it was not run out of oil.

Steve Yott