fot

Re: [Fot] racing with HSR & Portland Historics

To: Jim Gray <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] racing with HSR & Portland Historics
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 13:33:00 -1000
Cc: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
If youre going to do that let me suggest a tactic. If you say Id like to
race but Im afraid my car wont meet your rules then you get into a
conversation about what you think is wrong, why you wont change that and run
a legal car, etc., etc..

Instead you might say that youve heard they are pretty strict about
conformance to the rules, and you dont want to tow your car all that way and
get sent home. Ask how they handle non-conforming cars.

The official answer is that your car has to be as stated in the Car
Registration Form.  http://www.hmsausa.com/forms/pdf/012_car_reg.pdf  If you
want to take that route, fill it out, send it in along with a race entry and
see what they say.

The reality is that no one wants to send a first time offender (or even a
known offender who comes occasionally and always behaves well) back home
without racing

On Dec 9, 2013, at 1:05 PM, toodamnfunky@comcast.net wrote:

> Bill,
> You are right, I did mean HMSA. I would like to race the Portland Historics
some time in the future as well as Laguna Seca and Sears Point ( not into
naming rights for tracks ).
> As much as I would like to I won't re-configure my car to do so. Our club
has an exhibition class for cars that don't conform.
> I suppose the best thing I can do is as Chuck suggested is simply call or
write them and ask.
> jim g

owners what doesnt meet the rules and then letting them race. They note the
advice in your logbook (sometimes) and the official position is that they will
work with drivers to bring cars into compliance over time. In other words you
can do that a few times, and more or less continually over the years, but if
youre going to compete in multiple govern races in a year you nave to have a
plan and get there.

> Thats what I understand as a result of getting a lot of non-complying cars
into the Columbia River Classic race when I volunteered to spice that event up
a bit a few years ago. Im fairly certain nothing has changed.

> I dont have anything like an official statement about HMSA (which I assume
you mean instead of HSR) but my take is that they do pretty much the same
thing. The old approach of sending cars back home that werent legal was a
holdover from the Monterey Historics roots, and it died when they got out from
under that thumb and became more interested in not losing money. I could be
very wrong, but thats my take, I dont hunk youll hear anything super
official on such a subject, more like wink, wink, nod, nod.