fot

Re: [Fot] GT6 Brakes.

To: duncan.charlton54@gmail.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] GT6 Brakes.
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:27:14 -0400 (EDT)
Full-name: BillDentin
In a message dated 08/24/2014 1:49:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
duncan.charlton54@gmail.com writes:

> P. J. -- be sure to check the manufacturer's recommendations for
> break-in procedure for those pads and be sure to follow it if you're
> going to skim them and try again with the same pads.

Hmmmm...

We used to be paranoid about breaking in brake pads in accordance with the
manufacturer's instructions.  We'd devote a special session to it, putting
an "X" on our car to alert others that we were doing something special.  And
it seemed to work, as we had no issues.

But as the years went by it seemed to become less and less important, to a
point where we did very little special at all to break pads in (maybe
nothing more than get them hot, and cool them off once or twice) before serious
racing.  And there was no difference...we had no issues.

I noticed little or no difference from when we made a big deal out of it,
and when we rushed the break in, if at all.  It made me think that the
manufacturer's instructions was little more than a potential PYA cop out.  If
you
complained about your brake pads, their answer was, "Well you probably broke
them in wrong."

Anyone share those feelings, or am I out in Left Field by myself again?

For years now we've been running Hawk brake pads, but early on we started
out with Ferodo and Velvet Touch (names from the past).

Bill Dentinger
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive