fot

Re: [Fot] Repeal the DOT/EPA "25 Year Rule" Car Import Ban

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Repeal the DOT/EPA "25 Year Rule" Car Import Ban
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 22:55:41 +0000
> * Differences between U.S. vehicle and the rest of the car producing
> world are shrinking all the time. Most 15-year-old cars coming from
> Canada, Europe, or Japan will not be significantly different in
> safety or emissions

The Lotus Elise was introduced to the rest of the world in 2001.  Took them 4
years to get permission to import it here, and even then they had to get a
special NHTSA exemption (as well as using a completely different engine that
made less power).  As I recall, the US version was heavier, too.

Seems pretty significant to me.

Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com