fot

[Fot] axle bearing update

To: Friends of Triumph <Fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] axle bearing update
From: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 16:06:55 +0000 (UTC)
Thread-index: ymbiE4BsO5PxMwDzFU4I68zdS9PXLQ== s=q20140121; t=1409674016; bh=aduoprv4+GI3aCPUVOEig+bBNjkKKnOtCtXu6k73QkY=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=pHHXGJvyerm4+PKR6hpnWBh2eoVdxcSyjnQjg1R68TNiP+IRnFkhJ63V5i4v1biHH JyMMPxKbA7YtSKgTHUiEBXZjSk6OLT+FIC8rVV94zoEydZo31gdABfijHp14D4Ck43 r3HNIK3loH1tUk5M2EFzqPpPmllWDmChaYyZgLU+ZnZ8qYzOhsZaJVmKWx796xJSkj yyIpQ9W1JNka6H0Fgm55AOcj0XoJ1ySX3gQ0a4Of6XRgoK8HG9yGdEKOL03aFivmLl OOzZPNRKe5ySbJbw+wqi1SiuYmbIvS4HVw5TztK3TIG7uBHiG+3Nz+Te5mdfvAQY/E cacjPMLejFjDA==
Hello Friends,
A couple things to update my findings.
First of all, I may have jumped the gun on referring to the Southwick, Green
Bearings as garbage. I have no real knowledge of the quality, but I've been
informed that the axles come from Moser with the bearings in place and the
replacements are the same. I would think that Moser would only use quality
bearings.
Secondly, it has been brought to my attention that the centering button that
comes in the TransX limited slip should be removed for the Southwick
conversion. I did not know this. When I pulled the axle, I found one half of
the centering button lying in the axle tube. It's roll pin had broken and it
was stuck to the end of the axle with gear oil and dropped off mid way in the
tube. Glad I looked in there. So, this may have caused the bearing failure as
the axle and bearing were loaded instead of floating.
I'm going to try and get this all back together today and I'll be testing the
car at Sears tomorrow with a Hooked on Driving track day.

Dave
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive