fot

Re: [Fot] Welding of a gearbox casing

To: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Welding of a gearbox casing
From: TR4 Tony <tr4.tony@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:29:53 +0100
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Just to add to this I know that some of the guys here use the later TR6
bellhousing with the additional ribs vertically and horizontally, but in
addition (especially when using a dog gear set which exerts vertical pressure
which stretches the casing) they use straps to clamp the gearbox together over
the remote housing. I've avoided this by careful selection of casings and a
few bits of steel bracketry at critical points and stiffer engine and gearbox
mounts, all of which do a little but often as I can't use a dog set due to
regs.

A lot of other things have been tried, such as TIG welding, epoxy bonding etc
but the strap arrangement seems to be the better option at the moment. As Kas
says a little flex in the downstream mounting is essential.

Fundamentally the main gearbox casings are not strong laterally or vertically
so anything you can do to stop them stretching will give benefit. The late CC
TR6 casings seem to be the best, maybe also the Dolomite Sprint then followed
by the LD and KD series stag. The old alloy is now quite brittle so once a
fault develops it quickly turns into a major oil loss which means rapid
gearbox failure due to heat.

Also beware tapping the casing in a weak spot for an oil cooler take off.
Enough said.

Regards

Tony

Sent from my iPhone