fot

Re: [Fot] TR4/6 Transmission, Catastrophic failure

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com> s=q20140121; t=1415136072; bh=5dj4Zxk00bpdefnnj6cHi2IK6cpkTPUegojAzxdsxVw=; h=Received:Received:Mime-Version:Content-Type:Message-Id:From: Subject:Date:To; b=jKaSWs72WHeEqdxYYIHFVH+lGRXEh9UbKbDJHHaMoTkPdrEfFnQwsDUXENJxlBe1h JUexclwCUOHmGF4WYjnglmca8sry3O4gR6TIA4xHl1d3GkEwi+r9VMpTtIv2o7fdSd RH36jb4SQ+1A9jYcFkKz4NAw4XI/8ir5mmN1zScNli1UvvW/qxBeFN0Gfusx6rcKG5 ITNkiDtMjbT1wKWf+zqt9fy5F2wPefsTY1Rib8VFp9fHADfiKMU6yOjs08vXUBdBl3 HlMe9Pem/mIkB/ZVFW553GpXkkGw1begnnBeHc71KqYw6+nGaDDGjIn71UUhskyPv3 +OqLDacwEOKeA==
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4/6 Transmission, Catastrophic failure
From: Jeff Durant <jeff_durant@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 13:19:53 -0800
Cc: 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Scott,
Was the MS 2nd gear steel bush the stock "top hat" version or the 2 piece
version (bush and thrust washer)? I ask because I've found the steel bushing
and thrust washer offered as an upgrade for the earlier MS 2nd gear have some
running clearance issues.  Specifically, the OD of the bush is very tight when
fitted to MS 2nd gear in some cases.
I just built a CR TR box using the 2 piece steel bush/washer arrangement from
Rimmer Bros. and had to polish both the OD of the bush and ID of 2nd gear to
gain an acceptable level of clearance for adequate lubrication.  The bush ID
to mainshaft was good after minor deburring and polish. Had I not done so, I'm
certain it would have seized resulting in a failure similar to what you have
experienced.
As a general rule, I spend lots of time deburring and polishing the mainshaft,
bushes and all gears before final clean and assembly.  So far, no catastrophic
trans failures!  Now if I just had better syncros.

Regards,
Jeff Durant
TR4a/250/6 and #12 TR6

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2014, at 10:28 AM, Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com> wrote:

> I had a freshly rebuilt transmission with mostly new parts, including a new
> close ratio gear set, fail spectacularly after only a few laps of use.
Second