fot

Re: [Fot] TR3/4 cam help

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3/4 cam help
From: Duncan Charlton via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 08:50:13 -0600
--===============5927555103790904429==
 boundary="------------030003090103030504050708"

--------------030003090103030504050708

I've obtained cam specs with a dial indicator and a degree wheel,
entering the data into Excel.  It's time consuming but not that
difficult when the camshaft is in the engine or chucked in a lathe --
after seeing Larry Young's garage setup I realized I could do this
manually.  I haven't gotten around to calculating valve train
acceleration yet but I was able to plot the curves of an unknown DeLong
grind in a Ford 1500 engine and determine how much valve lash to use,
which was the goal at the time.  Larry's writings on the Tilden
Technologies website are highly useful.

However, these measurements did not tell me "which" DeLong cam I had,
ie: its part number, so knowing "which cam" I had (and perhaps therefore
whether it was judged by the manufacturer to be better or worse than
some other grind) was not going to happen (not to mention that DeLong is
long out of business).  But plotting the curve against a Crane cam with
a name that put it in the same ballpark ("300 degree" or somesuch) I
could see where the differences were -- the Crane cam had greater lift,
but the DeLong cam, with less total lift, had more acceleration, opening
the valve to a greater degree early on in the curve, so the area under
the curve could be close or perhaps even better.

Duncan

On 1/26/15 7:35 AM, EDWARD BARNARD via Fot wrote:
> I would think that someone with a Cam Doctor (Larry Young) could run
> them and retrieve the specs for a nominal fee. I bought a Cam Doctor a
> few years back but didn't have a computer to dedicate to run it on; it
> needed MSDOS. I resold it on Ebay and recovered my cost.
> -Ed-
>

> On Monday, January 26, 2015 6:54 AM, Bob Kramer via Fot
> <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>

> I got some Cams with the #67 car t hat were brand new but unknown
> grinds. They were custom grinds and came in Crane Cam boxes/ I sent
> them to Crane to run the specs for me; they charges $60.00 each to do
> that. They could find no record of the cams in their extensive files.
> I don't know what to do with them now that I did that (:
> Bob Kramer
>
> ---- Greg And Alison Blake via Fot <fot@autox.team.net
> > I came across a cam with some crazy looking profiles on it today in
> a box of spares that came with a TR4a dad and I purchased. It has the
> following stamped on it:
> > C-2781
> > C285-2
> > C290-2x6
> >
> > Anyone know what this might be?  Profile on the lobes looks
> interesting but it also looks like the grinder took a lot of metal out
> of the cam to create this grind. It is a very small diameter shaft now.
> >
> > Also in the spares was a Kastner F cam. Anyone run one of these that
> can send me the characteristics?  The nose on the lobes of the F look
> really broad and rounded.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Greg

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/rkramer3@austin.rr.com

--------------030003090103030504050708

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    I've obtained cam specs with a dial indicator and a degree wheel,
    entering the data into Excel.  It's time consuming but not that
    difficult when the camshaft is in the engine or chucked in a lathe
    -- after seeing Larry Young's garage setup I realized I could do
    this manually.  I haven't gotten around to calculating valve train
    acceleration yet but I was able to plot the curves of an unknown
    DeLong grind in a Ford 1500 engine and determine how much valve lash
    to use, which was the goal at the time.  Larry's writings on the
    Tilden Technologies website are highly useful.<br>
    However, these measurements did not tell me "which" DeLong cam I
    had, ie: its part number, so knowing "which cam" I had (and perhaps
    therefore whether it was judged by the manufacturer to be better or
    worse than some other grind) was not going to happen (not to mention
    that DeLong is long out of business).  But plotting the curve
    against a Crane cam with a name that put it in the same ballpark
    ("300 degree" or somesuch) I could see where the differences were --
    the Crane cam had greater lift, but the DeLong cam, with less total
    lift, had more acceleration, opening the valve to a greater degree
    early on in the curve, so the area under the curve could be close or
    perhaps even better.<br>
    Duncan<br>
      Fot wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1422279315.4102.YahooMailNeo@web184703.mail.ne1.yahoo.com"
      type="cite">
        font-family:HelveticaNeue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial,
        Lucida Grande, sans-serif;font-size:16px">
            Young) could run them and retrieve the specs for a nominal
            fee. I bought a Cam Doctor a few years back but didn't have
            a computer to dedicate to run it on; it needed MSDOS. I
            resold it on Ebay and recovered my cost.</span></div>
          Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif;
          font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; background-color:
            Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:
            16px;">
              Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-size:
              16px;">
                  January 26, 2015 6:54 AM, Bob Kramer via Fot
                  <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>&lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
                car t hat were brand new but unknown grinds. They were
                custom grinds and came in Crane Cam boxes/ I sent them
                to Crane to run the specs for me; they charges $60.00
                each to do that. They could find no record of the cams
                in their extensive files. I don't know what to do with
                them now that I did that (: <br clear="none">
                Bob Kramer<br clear="none">
                <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:rkramer3@austin.rr.com"; shape="rect"

ymailto="mailto:rkramer3@austin.rr.com";>rkramer3@austin.rr.com</a><br
                  clear="none">
                ---- Greg And Alison Blake via Fot &lt;<a
                  moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; shape="rect"
                  ymailto="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                wrote: <br clear="none">
                &gt; I came across a cam with some crazy looking
                profiles on it today in a box of spares that came with a
                TR4a dad and I purchased. It has the following stamped
                on it:<br clear="none">
                &gt; C-2781<br clear="none">
                &gt; C285-2<br clear="none">
                &gt; C290-2x6<br clear="none">
                &gt; <br clear="none">
                &gt; Anyone know what this might be?  Profile on the
                lobes looks interesting but it also looks like the
                grinder took a lot of metal out of the cam to create
                this grind. It is a very small diameter shaft now.<br
                  clear="none">
                &gt; <br clear="none">
                &gt; Also in the spares was a Kastner F cam. Anyone run
                one of these that can send me the characteristics?  The
                nose on the lobes of the F look really broad and
                rounded. <br clear="none">
                &gt; <br clear="none">
                &gt; Thanks,<br clear="none">
                &gt; <br clear="none">
                &gt; Greg<br clear="none">
                &gt; <br clear="none">
                &gt; _______________________________________________<br
                  clear="none">
                &gt; <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; shape="rect"
                  ymailto="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a><br
                  clear="none">
                &gt; <br clear="none">
                &gt; <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.fot-racing.com/"; target="_blank"
                  shape="rect">http://www.fot-racing.com/</a><br
                  clear="none">
                &gt; <br clear="none">
                &gt; Donate: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target="_blank"
                  shape="rect">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                  clear="none">
                &gt; Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/archive"; target="_blank"
                  shape="rect">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br
                  clear="none">
                &gt; Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                  href="http://www.team.net/forums"; target="_blank"
                  shape="rect">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br
                  clear="none">
                &gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/rkramer3@austin.rr.com";
                  target="_blank"
shape="rect">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/rkramer3@austin.rr.com</a>
                    clear="none">
                  &gt; <br clear="none">
                  &gt; <br clear="none">
[...]

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/edwardbarnard@prodigy.net";
                    target="_blank"
shape="rect">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/edwardbarnard@prodigy.net</a><br
                    clear="none">
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.fot-racing.com";>http://www.fot-racing.com</a>

href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

</pre>

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com