fot

Re: [Fot] tire rotation

To: 'Kas Kastner' <kaskastner@gmail.com>, Marcel Van Mulders <van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be>
Subject: Re: [Fot] tire rotation
From: Bob Kramer via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:04:09 +0000
Cc: Marcel Van Mulders via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
I have flipped Hoosiers on the rims to extend tire life and what Marcel says is
exactly right, it is a sad compromise. The first session out after the flip it
feels like there is something terribly wrong with the car. What follows is a
bad session, adjusting of corner entries and exits and a lack of consistent lap
times. As a driver we adjust to the conditions and that includes substandard
tires. These adjustment can become bad habits. (have you ever found yourself
following a Mini around a turn...why?) Pro racers can tell when pressures are
off and tires are going away. I think I just settle.

A lot of us vintage guys accept lousy tires on a regular basis because the
"vintage spirits" tell us that the point is just to be out there with these old
cars. What Marcel is saying, if I can put words in his mouth, is that if we are
going to spend all this effort on prep, all this money and suffer the
occasional heartbreak just to be out there, why not do it on good tires? Tires
are expensive but they are one thing we can easily control and it vastly
improves the  experience.

I remember the weekend when I set my all time best lap times ever in the TR4A.
CVAR set up a special race where the grid was set slowest to fastest, cars
started individually with calculation that would have everyone cross the finish
line together. I had new tires that weekend, and I didn't rotate them. I pushed
very hard to catch and pass every car, and I used all the grip that the new
tires gave me. TWS is counterclockwise with eleven left-handers, most high
speed, some on tough pavement. The right front was completely used up in one
weekend, corded, but I did a 2:04. From that point on I started rotating tires
and never did another 2:04. Looking back, I should have bought moire new tires.

at Texas World Speedway. A brand new set of Speedsters and a

means that save the tires but
Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com

fot@autox.team.net