fot

Re: [Fot] Test. Working with Mjb on my address

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Test. Working with Mjb on my address
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 21:37:16 -0600
Probably time to go over some basics again.

This is an email list. You can call it a chat line, a bulletin board or
whatever, but it is based on
email addresses.  People send mail to the list, and it is distributed to the
email addresses which are
subscribed to the list. To send mail to the list, you have to have
fot@autox.team.net in the "To:" box
of whatever mail program you are using. That's pretty basic.

As mentioned, it is a list of email addresses, not people's names.  You are not
a member of the list,
your email address is a member of the list. If you are subscribed as
orville@oversteer.org, and you post
a message from another address like lackey@humungous.com, you will get a
message back from mailman saying that
the message was rejected because the lackey address is not a member of the
list. If you frequently use multiple
addresses, you can subscribe them all, but select only one to actually receive
the mail, unless you want many
copies of each message.

Lately some things have come into play like DMARC policies for trying to
validate email as legitimate. It may
or may not be of value to you. Some folks, like AOL [ A PITA for mailing list
managers since day 1 ] have
made it difficult for email to flow to their customers as before. Not much I
can do about that. I recall some
years ago I actually did the math - AOL subscribers were like 4% of of the
total subscribers for all lists,
but were generating 24% of all the errors I had to deal with.

But hey, as an overpaid and underworked admin, I have plenty of time for that,
right?

If you are not getting email on a regular basis because your ISP hates
Team.Net, checking the archives
should keep you up to date.  Link below for real time folks, I think it is at
the top for digest users.

At any rate, it is my intention to keep providing this service. If you have
real difficulties with any
of this, I can try to resolve them as time allows. I really enjoy this group
and events like the
Kastner Cup, and want to do what I can to assist in keeping it around.

mjb.

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive