fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire timing?

To: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire timing?
From: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 16:13:38 -0700
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>

--001a11c36c96112bfb0517911a6d

Ignition timing is decided by the quality of the gasoline provided to the
engine and the elimination of detonation. With 100 octane you would not
dare use more than 30 degrees with a TR-3,4  full race engine, but with
110-113 generally provided by the race management for sale (be sure to ask)
then another couple degrees is certainly reasonable and there will be a
power improvement. Maybe even a little more timing than that if you have
not yet optimized your compression ratio. If you wait to* hear *detonation,
chances are you will be to late to save the engine from some damage.

Detonation occurrence is the determination of how much ignition advance you
can safely use regardless of the engine type, style or manufacture. CLEAN
spark plugs and a high rev shut off will tell you about all that.

Oh yeah, here is old Kas again ranting on about checking the spark plugs.

*Never be beaten by equipment.*

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com
> wrote:

> I assume that includes vacuum advance, which many racers would not use.  I
> have always assumed that the vacuum advance is really a fuel economy
> improvement device and that it would not ever come into play at full
> throttle.
>
> Duncan
> (Texas)
>
> > On Jun 2, 2015, at 5:01 PM, Greg And Alison Blake <ablake2@austin.rr.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Not a spitfire guy but 48????  WOW that seems really high.
> >
> > My TR3 race motor likes 30. It's never been on a Dyno so I am sure I am
> leaving some power unused, but I don't melt Pistons or hammer bearings
> either.
> >

> >> On Jun 2, 2015, at 12:57 PM, Bud Rolofson <levilevi@comcast.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Amici,
> >>
> >> What timing setting are you Spitfire racers using? I've seen
> suggestions from 32 degrees total advance to 48.
> >> Thanks
> >> Bud
> >>
> >> Sent from Vail pass 10881 ft elevation. Will be back home in a couple
> hours from our Utah National Park tour in the RV.
> >>

> >> Sent from my Commodore 64
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/ablake2@austin.rr.com

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/duncan.charlton54@gmail.com

--001a11c36c96112bfb0517911a6d

line provided to the engine and the elimination of detonation. With 100 oct=
ane you would not dare use more than 30 degrees with a TR-3,4=C2=A0 full ra=
ce engine, but with 110-113 generally provided by the race management for s=
ale (be sure to ask) then another couple degrees is certainly reasonable an=
d there will be a power improvement. Maybe even a little more timing=C2=A0t=
han that if you have not yet optimized your compression ratio. If you wait =
 occurrence=C2=A0is the determination of how much ignition advance you can =
safely use regardless of the engine type, style or manufacture. CLEAN spark=
ton <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:duncan.charlton54@gmail.com"; ta=
quote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc=
 solid;padding-left:1ex">I assume that includes vacuum advance, which many =
racers would not use.=C2=A0 I have always assumed that the vacuum advance i=
s really a fuel economy improvement device and that it would not ever come =
into play at full throttle.<br>
Duncan<br>
(Texas)<br>
&gt; On Jun 2, 2015, at 5:01 PM, Greg And Alison Blake &lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
o:ablake2@austin.rr.com">ablake2@austin.rr.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Not a spitfire guy but 48????=C2=A0 WOW that seems really high.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My TR3 race motor likes 30. It&#39;s never been on a Dyno so I am sure=
 I am leaving some power unused, but I don&#39;t melt Pistons or hammer bea=
rings either.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Jun 2, 2015, at 12:57 PM, Bud Rolofson &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:le=
vilevi@comcast.net">levilevi@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Amici,<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; What timing setting are you Spitfire racers using? I&#39;ve seen s=
uggestions from 32 degrees total advance to 48.<br>
&gt;&gt; Thanks<br>
&gt;&gt; Bud<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Sent from Vail pass 10881 ft elevation. Will be back home in a cou=
ple hours from our Utah National Park tour in the RV.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Sent from my Commodore 64<br>
&gt;&gt; _______________________________________________<br>