fot

Re: [Fot] Tr6 and gt6 transmission

To: <rdavis4@cfl.rr.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>, "'dan griffin'" <dangriffin154@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Tr6 and gt6 transmission
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 20:28:16 -0500
I have also read this information and have actually overhauled a number of Stag
gearboxes.  You are correct in that the input shaft and matching first motion
gear have to be changed for the TR series of engines.  The lay shaft itself is
different in that the lay gear carries two rear bearings and the thrust washers
are replaced with needle roller thrust bearings.  You could convert a TR box to
this type of setup but I really don't feel that it is worth the time.  I say
this because if you run a modified lay gear with dual rear bearings you will
rarely see much wear on the bronze thrust bushings used in the TR box.  One of
the main reasons for bronze thrust washer wear is when the rear bearing on the
lay gear gives up and starts wearing the shaft.  The whole lay gear assembly
then begins to go off perpendicular and the thrust washers will take the load
without a good result.

I have had very good success using the CD gearboxes and changing the main shaft
gear bushings to the steel variety and also boring the lay gear to accept two
rear bearings.  This configuration is fairly robust.  The latest CF gearbox
already has the steel main shaft gear bushings so just the lay gear
modification is required plus a good clean overhaul with close attention to all
dimensions.  Sometime machining is required to get these boxes into spec!

Steve Yott