fot

Re: [Fot] Driveline angles

To: damys@charter.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Driveline angles
From: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 10:26:56 -0500
Cc: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail=_DC1CA5C7-D086-49EF-8F17-B4C3A19445B5

So, I spent quite a bit of time on this several years ago, when I had =
some high speed vibration in my GT6, mostly at 5,500 rpm and above in =
4th gear.  The reality is Triumph did what they could with this car but =
the driveline angles are not what engineering theory recommends, which =
is what Chris reported - parallel flanges, and offset centerlines for =
the diff and tranny.  It is impossible to achieve in this car.  I did =
several things to minimize vibration, and if it's still there, I guess I =
don't notice it much anymore!  In a race car with everything hard =
mounted at high road speed and 6-7,000 rpm, and the exhaust no doubt =
contacting the frame somewhere, the whole thing is buzzing!

Here's what I did and it eliminated most vibration:
find a good driveshaft shop, one that does race work and recognizes the =
RPMs you are operating at.
Have them ensure the u-joints on the drive shaft and half-shafts =
(assuming that's the construction you have- I have halfshafts with inner =
and outer u-joints) are absolutely aligned/in phase.  My halfshafts were =
off 5-10 degrees.
Have all those rotating assemblies balanced.   Get that checked every =
time you change u-joints, as it seems to change a bit.
Use high quality u-joints - I think I have spicer everywhere - and =
replace these at the slightest sign of wear.
Differential - Jason suggests poly for the front mountings - I have =
aluminum spacers.  Either will work. Get those sized so the front of the =
diff is as high as possible - essentially the outriggers on the diff are =
virtually touching the frame mounts.  Where the long bolt at the rear =
goes through the ears on the diff, I have replaced those bushings with =
aluminum ones, drilled offset and rotated so that the diff sits as high =
as possible (bolt hole toward the bottom).  This has two benefits - it =
improves the driveshaft alignment and it lowers the car slightly.
The goal with the diff angle adjustments is to make the angle of the =
diff flange relative to the driveshaft line as close to the angle of the =
transmission flange relative to the driveshaft.  I can't remember where =
I read that, but that was indicated as preferable if the "parallel =
flange, offset alignment" objective is unobtainable.  Again, it's the =
flange angle relative to the driveshaft, not relative to vertical.
Bottom line, most of the vibration is gone.  Now the vibration I deal =
with is typically old race tire stuff.
Hope this helps.  Bottom line, you would have to reconstruct this car to =
get the engineering ideal here, and it's virtually impossible without =
major surgery.  Didn't seem to be necessary once everything else was =
tweaked!  Sorry for the windy message.

scott