fot

Re: [Fot] Kevin Lynch's GT6

To: Burt Stein <burtstein@gmemusic.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Kevin Lynch's GT6
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 14:12:59 -0500
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
>From someone that has been involved with racing several GT6's over the period
>of several decades...
DO NOT change the car from its current set-up.
It is true that webers can be a nice upgrade at some point. Your biggest
concern should be to become familiar with the car. Learn how to drive it. Make
it safe. Become comfortable with working on all the parts of the car and enjoy
it and learn it BEFORE you CHANGE ANYTHING. You will have (hopefully) a whole
lifetime of tweaking an modifying the car. Your first couple years we'll be
smartest spent enjoying and keeping it going just the way it is. You will have
your hands full just with that.
Some of the best GT6's ever built were quickly made to go slower and became a
big pain in the ass by new owners who thought their new methods and upgrades
would be a good idea. Kas Kastner himself told me of folks buying his perfectly
solid winning cars ... Quickly changing things to make them faster and simply
wound up wasting time, money and making a good driving car something that
couldn't do a lap.
Take it slow. Enjoy the car. Enjoy maintaining it. Take things apart and put
them back together exactly the way it was. That will serve you much better than
changing anything.
Buy yourself the original factory manual ( it's a red binder type book with a
vinyl cover) go by that exactly on every dismantle and assembly and use the
torque specs listed on every nut and bolt. That book is a very important bible.
Read all of Kastner's books and pamphlets and combine that knowledge with the
factor manual.
Ask any questions you have here on the FoT. There is a real trusted wealth of
knowledge here and don't worry about or believe anything you see on the
Internet. The fastest GT6 race cars in the country and their owners are all
here to help you (on FOT) and if you listen to the wisdom you will have the
most laps and the most fun with your GT6!
Good luck and have fun!
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
1969 Triumph GT6+ Racecars