fot

[Fot] Road America; The results are in!

To: triumph friends <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Road America; The results are in!
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 23:18:28 -0500

--001a1140a9747c47aa0537f56085

Well, my feelings and results are a mixed bag of high and low.
In general the weekend was a flurry of activity... The event was deep in
competition, dollars and activity; In so many ways.
The atmosphere at this race is as rich as it gets for the glacial hills of
Wisconsin.
Beauty of folks, machines, and nature were in bounty.
The 50 year celebration of Can -Am was rather glorious; and made any local
race you may be used to, seem like a crappy slot car track in your Buddy's
basement.
Our own Tony Garmey was out and quite pointy at sharp end of the Grid.
He was deep in the middle of a multi million dollar battle of the big boys.
He held his own in all the sessions and raced to the very front of the
action. He hung on to the top five in a field of some 50 machines of power,
wealth and mechanical excellence.
The racing in the can-am was simply Phenomenal.
In the end it was the 1974 UOP Shadows that took away the big Kitty;
winning the feature race and the stealing both the visual and speed prize
for the entire weekend... proving that the last years of the Can Am were
indeed a thing of special greatness.

All in all, the level of preparation and the standard fare in every race
group was top notch.
A clean lap in most groups was rather rare due to high volume as well as
obvious differences in driver ability.
The Triumphs:
There were only 3 Triumphs at the HUGE event.
I'd have to Give the cup to Allen W. In his wonderful red TR6. he finished
all his sessions and ran well all weekend. He took first prize in the
downtown Racecar  beauty contest driving back to the track with the
prestigious Blue Ribbon in his concourse class!
Well shown and well raced>>>A+ indeed!
I can't believe my own luck... or lack there of.
I was really fast in my qualifying sessions. I was actually taking it easy
and trying to save my car for a real Porsche Massacre in my races. And even
with holding back my big cards in my 3 Qualifying sessions... I very easily
set my fastest time ever at Road America... And never even had a clean lap.
I qualified 17th of 62 cars for the first of 2 races.
but on the way to the grid a part on my car that simply should not fail...
Failed.
On the way up the hill to grid myself for the race, my crew noticed a shake
and a shimmer in the wheel way.
When told of the shake I quickly exited the grid and motored down the hill.
We jacked the car up and found one of my custom "bullet proof" Quarter
Master engineered Hubs broken...a big fat fail.
So on the GT6 front... The song remains the same...
I am very fast. And Not for lack of effort or preparation... I am once
again beaten by equipment in the face of my own desire to push the car to a
new limit.
Perhaps with a dollar or two for every nickel I have; my troubles would be
over...
Quarter Master Doesn't make custom parts anymore.
so our old solution is part of the good old days; and today is no longer
"problem solved".
Brian and I are looking at our current fabrication options now.

Which brings me to the highlight of my weekend.
Brian... Racing our Cheetah wheel to wheel for first place overall in group
3.
Back and forth with the McKee of a fellow named A.C. all race; changing
position frequently.
Brian was in first place on the final lap. Going into turn 5 the rear
suspension Broke!
The Tire was punctured as it rubbed against the frame rail.
With Balls, and a will, and our always dream....
Like a sick NASCAR Nightmare...
He kept going for 2 miles with rubber flying and blue smoke a blazing.
The tire fell off the rim on the front stretch as he took the checkered
flag for second place... finishing only inches in front of Doc Bundy!
It was the best race and finish for a non pro race I have ever seen!
2nd place for the Cheetah in a spectacular fashion!
At the podium celebration... Even Brian Redman was at a loss for words.
Our Plymouth Barracuda finished all its sessions and was handling well.
It could use another couple few hundred horsepower to win...
But sure was the talk of the town!
Great Highs and Great Lows...
That's why we play this game.
Because the feelings you get from the skin you put in; take you from event
to event, in a whirlwind of emotion.
And you never know how its gonna play out until you flip the kill switch
off.
Thanks to everyone that sent me a kind word this weekend,
And to those that came to help me in person! wow!
All that support was well received...
Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing

--001a1140a9747c47aa0537f56085

 and low.</div><div>In general the weekend was a flurry of activity... The =
event=C2=A0was deep in competition, dollars and activity; In so many ways.<=
/div><div>The atmosphere=C2=A0at this race=C2=A0is as rich as it gets for t=
he glacial hills of Wisconsin.</div><div>Beauty of folks, machines, and nat=
ure were=C2=A0in bounty.</div><div>The 50 year celebration of Can=C2=A0-Am =
was rather glorious; and=C2=A0made any=C2=A0local race you may be used to, =
seem like a crappy slot car track in your Buddy&#39;s basement.</div><div>O=
ur own Tony Garmey was out and=C2=A0quite pointy at=C2=A0sharp end of the G=
rid.</div><div>He was=C2=A0deep in the middle of=C2=A0a multi million dolla=
r battle of the big boys.</div><div>He held his own in all the sessions and=
 raced to the very front of the action.=C2=A0He=C2=A0hung on to the top fiv=
e in a field of some 50 machines of power, wealth and mechanical excellence=
the end it was the 1974 UOP Shadows that took away the big Kitty; winning t=
he feature race and the stealing both the visual and speed prize for the=C2=
=A0entire weekend...=C2=A0proving that the last years of the Can Am=C2=A0we=
n all, the level of preparation=C2=A0and the standard fare in every race gr=
oup=C2=A0was top notch. </div><div>A clean lap in most groups was rather ra=
re due to=C2=A0high volume as well as obvious differences in driver ability=
event.</div><div>I&#39;d have to Give the cup to Allen W.=C2=A0In his wonde=
rful red TR6. he finished all his sessions and ran well all weekend.=C2=A0H=
e took first prize in the downtown Racecar =C2=A0beauty contest driving bac=
k to the track with the prestigious Blue Ribbon in his concourse class! </d=
n&#39;t believe my own luck... or lack there of.</div><div>I was=C2=A0reall=
y fast in my qualifying sessions. I was actually taking it easy and trying =
to save my car for a real Porsche Massacre in my races. And even with holdi=
ng back my big cards=C2=A0in my 3 Qualifying sessions... I very easily set =
my fastest time ever at Road America...=C2=A0And never even had a clean lap=
>but on the way to the grid a part on my car that simply should=C2=A0not fa=
il... Failed.</div><div>On the way=C2=A0up the hill to grid myself for the =
race, my crew noticed a shake and a=C2=A0shimmer in the wheel way. </div><d=
iv>When told of the shake I quickly exited the grid and motored down the hi=
ll. We jacked the car up and found one of my custom &quot;bullet proof&quot=
; Quarter Master=C2=A0engineered Hubs=C2=A0broken...a big fat fail.</div><d=
iv>So on the GT6 front... The song remains the same... </div><div>I am very=
 fast. And Not for lack of effort or preparation...=C2=A0I am once again be=
aten by equipment=C2=A0in the face of=C2=A0my own desire to push the car to=
 a new limit.</div><div>Perhaps with a dollar or two for every nickel I=C2=
=A0have; my troubles would be over...</div><div>Quarter Master Doesn&#39;t =
make custom parts anymore.</div><div>so=C2=A0our old=C2=A0solution is part =
of the good old days; and today is no longer &quot;problem solved&quot;. </=
div><div>Brian and I are looking at our current fabrication=C2=A0options no=
ll in group 3.</div><div>Back and forth with the McKee of a fellow named A.=
C. all race; changing position frequently.</div><div>Brian was in first pla=
ce on the final lap. Going into turn 5 the=C2=A0rear suspension Broke! </di=
v><div>The Tire was punctured as it rubbed against the frame rail.</div><di=
v>With Balls, and a will, and our always dream....</div><div>Like a sick NA=
SCAR Nightmare...</div><div>He kept going for 2 miles with rubber flying an=
d blue smoke a blazing.</div><div>The tire fell off the rim on the front st=
retch as he=C2=A0took the checkered flag for second place...=C2=A0finishing=
 only inches in front of Doc Bundy!</div><div>It was the best race and fini=
sh for a non pro race I have ever seen!</div><div>2nd place for the Cheetah=
 in a=C2=A0spectacular fashion!</div><div>At the podium celebration... Even=
 Brian Redman was at a loss for words.</div><div>Our Plymouth Barracuda fin=
ished all its sessions and was handling well. </div><div>It could use anoth=
er couple few=C2=A0hundred horsepower to win...</div><div>But sure was the =
39;s why we play this=C2=A0game.</div><div>Because the feelings you get fro=
m the skin you put in; take you from event to event, in a whirlwind of emot=
ion.</div><div>And you never know how its gonna play out until you flip the=
 kill switch off.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div>Thanks to everyone that sent =
me a kind word this weekend,</div><div>And to those that came to help me in=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0</div></div>

--001a1140a9747c47aa0537f56085--

--===============6133113101132926245==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com