fot

[Fot] Duel in the Desert

Subject: [Fot] Duel in the Desert
From: billdentin at aol.com (billdentin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 12:06:53 -0500
Amici...

I have not been receiving very many FOT emails recently, and many I do receive
suggest they are the 4th or 5th response to previous email threads which I
definitely did not receive.  Thus this may be old news.

I spent last Saturday and Sunday at the Spring Mountain Motor Sports Ranch in
Pahrump, Nevada.  It is a nice 'Country Club' type circuit, and VARA was
holding its Duel in the Desert spring event.  A nice gaggle of Triumphs was
entered, including Chuck Gee and Stephen Jones in GT6s, Kevin Ayers, Jerry
Baker, Richard Grabowski, Greg Siam, and Dale Wallace in Spitfires, and Ken
Knight in his TR4.

I understand that both Kas Kastner and Joe Alexander were in attendance on
Friday, and I am so sorry I missed seeing them.  Saturday was really messy.
Lots of rain early, and wet, moist, misty weather all afternoon.  Practice and
qualifying sessions were a lot more like ice skating than road racing, as the
cars tip-toed around the track.  All of the Triumphs were assigned to one race
group.  It was a large, competitive group.

On Sunday the Race Gods smiled, and there was good weather again.  The Triumphs
raced in the 1:30 PM Flag Race, and were spread throughout the grid.  Ken
Knight was highest, sitting fourth on the grid.  He passed the third place car
on Lap ONE, and the second place car on Lap TWO.  He was closing in on the
leader, but never had to catch or pass him, as at some point the leader
retired.  Ken Knight got a very nice First Overall finish.  The course they
were running was 3.4 miles, and so the twenty-five minute sessions were only
lasting five laps or so.  It was very impressive for me to see a TR4 finish
first overall.  Kudos Ken Knight (hmmmm...alliteration).  As I did not see a
sheet with the final race results, and because I was clocking Ken, I am not
sure how others made out.  But I do know that there was excellent dicing
throughout the race group and the Triumphs were heavily involved.

There were some interesting cars entered in that race group as well, including
an Allard K2 and a Marcos GT.

I had a good time.

Bill Dentinger