fot

[Fot] Racer Bud

Subject: [Fot] Racer Bud
From: vintagenick42 at yahoo.com (vintagenick42 at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 04:45:34 +0000 (UTC)
FOTers,

Bud was quite a character. He used to race "back in the day" and for some
reason he showed up at a local NorCal race back about 2000 or so (latent racer
gene expressing itself?). I was still using a stock Lucas starter at the time
and it had just engaged the ring gear and stuck there...I know, THAT could
never happen, but why else do they have that little cover on the end with a
square drive sticking out so that you could "unwind" them? So, anyway, I missed
that session but Bud walked over as I was backing the starter out and when I
heard the bendix fall into the bellhousing I knew what had happened...Without
so much as an introduction, he grabbed some tools and we got the car in the air
and the offending pieces fished out, spare starter in and "off to the races" as
they say.

This particular race group allowed riders during the lunch break and I took him
for a ride as a thank you for his help. Thereafter I was always known as
"hooksetter" as Bud then found a Spitty and was a regular at the local tracks.

Bud had a group email list that he sent out almost daily, and as he said "once
you're on the list, you can't get off". For those who were on the list will
attest his emails usually brought a smile to those on it.

Bud will be missed.

Nick in NorCal