fot

[Healeys] Fuel Gauge dampener

Subject: [Healeys] Fuel Gauge dampener
From: coudesluijs at chello.nl (Oudesluys)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 09:06:59 +0100
The later Smiths/Jaeger gauges in many UK cars, and in the later AH for
that matter, are bimetal operated gauges, a current regulated by the
variable resistor in the sender heats a bimetal which will react in
bending, driving the needle pointer, however it reacts very slowly hence
a stable reading. These are fed by 10V provided by a small regulator
somewhere behind the dash. They have a ca. 90? window over the scale.
The early ones are coil operated which react instantly. A capacitor to
damped the reading is a good idea.
Kees Oudesluijs