fot

[Healeys] Splitting the calipers

Subject: [Healeys] Splitting the calipers
From: editorgary at aol.com (editorgary at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 15:49:36 -0500
 If my memory serves ? the issue with splitting the brake calipers is that the
rubber seal between the two halves around the brake fluid passageway is SQUARE
in cross-section, rather than round. Therefore you must have exactly the right
replacement seal -- I know from experience during the very last stage of my
restoration.

Fortunately I was running silicone rather than standard petroleum-based brake
fluid and had installed a new e-brake cable before I took the car out for its
first test run, so when the bad seal burst upon the first hard application of
the brakes and sprayed fluid all over the fender while leaving me without
brakes, I was able to bring the car to a stop with the e-brake, get home safely
and wipe the fluid off the fender with no damage.

So, do not split the calipers until you have the correct replacement seals in
hand, and then do it very carefully. And seriously consider using silicone
fluid in any high-quality restoration.

G.

Gary Anderson