fot

[Fot] Re-torquing a cylinder head - GT6

Subject: [Fot] Re-torquing a cylinder head - GT6
From: sjanzen at me.com (Scott Janzen)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:58:56 -0400
I?m adjusting valves after the last race weekend.  For whatever reason, I put
the torque wrench on a couple of the head bolts - and found maybe 90 degrees of
movement on the few nuts I checked.

I run a Payen head gasket - composite with a metal ring at the combustion
chamber.

Should I:
loosen one nut at a time, lube with moly as provided by ARP, and retorque to
ARP spec;
tighten from the current position to ARP spec (75 ft-lb)
do nothing

The engine has probably four race weekends on it.  I can honestly say I have
never re-torqued Payen gaskets before, but I have also re-checked the torque on
other gaskets and not found any movement.