fot

Re: [Fot] Diff setup

To: Greg Blake <gblake58tr3@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Diff setup
From: John Styduhar via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 15:57:21 -0500
Cc: Triumph 'Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--000000000000802d5c0579dd04b0

This idea was mentioned somewhere in the past FOT discussions.  It's the
same approach as the 8.8 Ford setup, but I don't see how you can keep thin
shims from damage.  The Ford uses one single shim of the appropriate
thickness.  These's also the problem with shim walkout.  Pulling the
carrier bearings is the least of my troubles when setting backlash and
preload.

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 1:07 PM Greg Blake via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> All,
>
> Finally getting around to the new diff setup and it occurred to me to
> determine the carrier bearing preload and shim requirements, it is a lot
> easier to use the larger pinion bearing shims behind the bearing races th=
an
> pulling the cone off the carrier several times.  See photo below.
>
> Any options to using this shim setup as a final installation?  Maybe a ta=
> welded to the inside of the diff cover to ensure they don=E2=80=99t back =
out?
> Thoughts?
>

> Sent from my iPhone_______________________________________________
> fot@autox.team.net
>
> http://www.fot-racing.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/johnstydo@gmail.com

--000000000000802d5c0579dd04b0

s idea was mentioned somewhere in the past FOT discussions.=C2=A0 It&#39;s =
the same approach as the 8.8 Ford setup, but I don&#39;t see how you can ke=
ep thin shims from damage.=C2=A0 The Ford uses one single shim of the appro=
priate thickness.=C2=A0 These&#39;s also the problem with shim walkout.=C2=
=A0 Pulling the carrier bearings is the least of my troubles when setting b=
acklash and preload.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:s=
n, Nov 4, 2018 at 1:07 PM Greg Blake via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@auto=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding=
-left:1ex">All,<br>
Finally getting around to the new diff setup and it occurred to me to deter=
mine the carrier bearing preload and shim requirements, it is a lot easier =
to use the larger pinion bearing shims behind the bearing races than pullin=
g the cone off the carrier several times.=C2=A0 See photo below. <br>
Any options to using this shim setup as a final installation?=C2=A0 Maybe a=
 tab welded to the inside of the diff cover to ensure they don=E2=80=99t ba=
ck out?=C2=A0 Thoughts?<br>
Sent from my iPhone_______________________________________________<br>
/a><br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>