fot

Re: [Fot] Fire Bottle Refill - the verdict

To: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fire Bottle Refill - the verdict
From: robert bownes via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 17:17:44 -0400
Cc: John Frymark MacBook <jfrymark@aol.com>, 'Friends of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--000000000000f4e2f80584790965

I use the expired non re-usable powder extinguishers to teach my teacher
wife's schoolkids how to use them. Always a big hit on fire safety day. :)

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 5:13 PM Scott Janzen via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> I ended up taking my Halon bottle to a local place that services fire
> extinguishers, including Halon.  Old school guy, looked at the bottle,
> hefted it, listened to the liquid sloshing around and said =E2=80=9Cthis =
is fine=E2=80=9D.
> He went on to say that if there was a leak the halon would have been gone=
> long time ago, that these gauges are almost always accurate, and that
> servicing would cost a few hundred bucks, mainly because in the process h=
> would lose a 1/4 to a 1/2 lb of Halon that he would have to refill.  So, =
it
> went back in the car.
>
> I also learned that if you have those ABC fire extinguishers around the
> house or in your shop, if they have a metal top and valve, they can be
> serviced, but the ones with the black plastic valve assemblies are
> disposable.  At ten years old or more, it=E2=80=99s time to replace all o=
f mine.
> He said the thing to do before disposing is tap the valve - some of the
> fire suppressant material will end up in the valve seat and allow the
> pressure to bleed out, and that way I=E2=80=99m not tossing a pressurized=
 container
> in the trash that will end up exploding in the trash truck compactor.
>
> Scott
>
> On Mar 9, 2019, at 5:42 PM, John Frymark MacBook <jfrymark@aol.com> wrote=
:

> Scott,
>
> I sent a Fire Bottle in 2013 to a company in Ft Myers, FL to recharge a
> =E2=80=9Cshort=E2=80=9D 5 lb canister that is no longer offered by the co=
mpany. I liked the
> placement of that unit in my car and didn=E2=80=99t want to have to recon=
figure for
> a different size. They had me ship to them as =E2=80=9Chazardous material=
s=E2=80=9D via UPS
> and shipped back the same way. Not much over $200 total. Interestingly,
> they said my 1996 era bottle was still almost fully charged when they
> checked and refilled. I weigh my bottle every year to make certain there
> hasn=E2=80=99t been a change in the weight/charge.
>
> Here is the web site: www.firebottleracing.com. I suspect not many are
> certified to deal with Halon refilling.
>
> John Frymark

--000000000000f4e2f80584790965

 extinguishers to teach my teacher wife&#39;s schoolkids how to use them. A=
il_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 5:1=
3 PM Scott Janzen via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@aut=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex"><div style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word;">I ended up taking my H=
alon bottle to a local place that services fire extinguishers, including Ha=
lon.=C2=A0 Old school guy, looked at the bottle, hefted it, listened to the=
 liquid sloshing around and said =E2=80=9Cthis is fine=E2=80=9D.=C2=A0 He w=
ent on to say that if there was a leak the halon would have been gone a lon=
g time ago, that these gauges are almost always accurate, and that servicin=
g would cost a few hundred bucks, mainly because in the process he would lo=
se a 1/4 to a 1/2 lb of Halon that he would have to refill.=C2=A0 So, it we=
e ABC fire extinguishers around the house or in your shop, if they have a m=
etal top and valve, they can be serviced, but the ones with the black plast=
ic valve assemblies are disposable.=C2=A0 At ten years old or more, it=E2=
=80=99s time to replace all of mine.=C2=A0 He said the thing to do before d=
isposing is tap the valve - some of the fire suppressant material will end =
up in the valve seat and allow the pressure to bleed out, and that way I=E2=
=80=99m not tossing a pressurized container in the trash that will end up e=
iv><br><div>On Mar 9, 2019, at 5:42 PM, John Frymark MacBook &lt;<a href=3D=
nt a Fire Bottle in 2013 to a company in Ft Myers, FL to recharge a =E2=80=
=9Cshort=E2=80=9D 5 lb canister that is no longer offered by the company. I=
 liked the placement of that unit in my car and didn=E2=80=99t want to have=
 to reconfigure for a different size. They had me ship to them as =E2=80=9C=
hazardous materials=E2=80=9D via UPS and shipped back the same way. Not muc=
h over $200 total. Interestingly, they said my 1996 era bottle was still al=
most fully charged when they checked and refilled. I weigh my bottle every =
year to make certain there hasn=E2=80=99t been a change in the weight/charg=
ebottleracing.com/" target=3D"_blank">www.firebottleracing.com</a>. I suspe=
______________________________<br>
/a><br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>