fot

[Fot] Spitfire single rail gearbox synchro hub

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire single rail gearbox synchro hub
From: dustin nicholson via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 21:12:26 -0500
Amici,

Iâ??ve re-assembled my main shaft and have too much play at the first gear
synchro, about 1/8â?? more than Iâ??d like. Meanwhile my second gear synchro is
tighter than Iâ??d like. How do I â??moveâ?? the extra space down the shaft? My
overall length is good as my bearings are tight against the circlips.

It doesnâ??t seem to make a difference but Iâ??m wondering if I have the inner
part of the synchro hub backwards. It has a longer flange around the shaft on
one side than the other... about 1/8â?? longer. Should the longer flange face
forward or backwards? Same question for the 3rd/4th synchro hub flange. My
synchro clearances are good on 3rd and 4th but Iâ??m second guessing myself
that I have the long flange on the correct side.

Thanks,
Dusty
1971 Spitfire FP #4

Sent from my iPhone