fot

[Fot] Ignition coil for 6 cylinder with points (racing)

To: FOT list <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Ignition coil for 6 cylinder with points (racing)
From: Jason Sukey via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 11:07:35 -0400

--0000000000008a742f05922026d6

Had a wonderful time at the Glen, still chasing some gremlins, but getting
closer!

I've been struggling with points on my GT6, before I throw them away and
buy a 123tune dizzy, I'd like to survey the other 6 cylinder guys to see if
anyone has found a good setup that works with points.

My engine is about 12.5:1 compression, typically shifting just under 7000
rpm, but will rev to 7300 rpm depending on the situation.  Lucas 25D6 dizzy
built by Advanced Distributors.
NGK BP8ES plugs, .028" gap.
Points are the ones with the red plastic that come in the green "lucas"
box, gapped to .015"

The problem:  I keep melting the plastic block on the points causing the
point gap to close up to zero.  At the suggestion of Jeff at Advanced
Distributors, I replaced the 1.5 ohm coil with a 3.0 ohm coil (no ballast
resistor).  With the 3.0 ohm coil, the points seem to last, but the car
won't rev past 5000 rpm.

With the hotter 1.5 ohm coil, the car runs really strong, and as long as I
don't let the engine idle for very long, the points will last a couple
sessions.  I've been thru three sets of points, tried two different
condensers all with similar results.

The tow crew at Watkins Glen is very efficient, I pulled off behind the
armco on the pace lap and was still able to watch all but the first two
laps of the all Triumph feature from the stands!

Jason Sukey

--0000000000008a742f05922026d6

oints on my GT6, before I throw them away and buy a 123tune dizzy, I&#39;d =
like to survey the other 6 cylinder guys to see if anyone has found a good =
2.5:1 compression, typically shifting just under 7000 rpm, but will rev to =
7300 rpm depending on the situation.=C2=A0 Lucas 25D6 dizzy built by Advanc=
s are the ones with the red plastic that come in the green &quot;lucas&quot=
eep melting the plastic block on the points causing the point gap to close =
up to zero.=C2=A0 At the suggestion of Jeff at Advanced Distributors, I rep=
laced the 1.5 ohm coil with a 3.0 ohm coil (no ballast resistor).=C2=A0 Wit=
h the 3.0 ohm coil, the points=C2=A0seem to last, but the car won&#39;t rev=
car runs really strong, and as long as I don&#39;t let the engine idle for =
very long, the points will last a couple sessions.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve been thru=
 three sets of points, tried two different condensers all with similar resu=
t, I pulled off behind the armco on the pace lap and was still able to watc=
h all but the first two laps of the all Triumph feature from the stands!</d=

--0000000000008a742f05922026d6--

--===============2911347106799348202==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com