fot

[Fot] Watkins Glen with SVRA

To: 'Friends Of Triumph' Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Watkins Glen with SVRA
From: yellow04 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 13:46:13 -0400
A great weekend was had by all, a special thanks to Bob Lang for some
really close, fun racing! I got tossed in Group 8, and was under-tired
by a long shot, but had some good clean runs with cars I don't usually
get to race with. Then of course was the All Triumphs race, for me it
was everything we do this for.

I must admit this was the first event I have run with SVRA in 10 years.
Back then, I had experienced firsthand many of the issues that everybody
seems to rant about with SVRA, so it was with some trepidation that I
accepted the $100 offer to run what was one of the greatest festival
events in the east. I'm glad I did, the event was everything I could
have hoped for.

I camp at the track in my RV, and was never approached for a camping
fee. Nobody rode around playing gestapo security guard. It was just a
nice weekend in the paddock at The Glen. Plus got to run the race car in
town and on the original race course! Great fun.

Racers have told me the SVRA tech process is tough, and they are a pain
in the ass. But I chose to play in their sandbox, so I need to play by
their rules. I know my SFI belts were older than 2 years so I put a new
set of belts. I know my HANS device is older than 5 years so I am
prepared to deal with the re-certification process. (I actually got a
one-time pass on that, I'll deal with it next year at Mid-Ohio!) The
drivers safety gear inspection was thorough but quite fair. The only
complaints I heard were from people who were running in gear that was so
old it didn't have the FIA/SFI labels, or was in the eyes of the
inspector unfit to run because it's falling apart, has holes, is
oil-soaked, etc. I found it hard to sympathize with guys who are driving
in gear that was well beyond it's sell-by date.

Bottom line, the SVRA tech process is simple, bring a well prepped car
with good drivers gear and you will breeze through it like I did.

The sessions were short, but by Saturday the schedule was pretty close
and we were getting the allotted track time. I could complain about lost
time from track oiling earlier in the weekend, but let's not go there!

Apologies to Rick Parent, I didn't find the time to introduce myself.

In my mind we are all systems go for Mid-Ohio in 2020 for the Kastner
Cup!!!
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com