fot

Re: [Fot] A-Type Overdrive Testing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] A-Type Overdrive Testing
From: Bill Tobin via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 19:07:16 -0500

--------------4CFE5A5F6B1E1E95BC0B473D

Another variation on the saying: If you're going around it's both feet down.

Merry Christmas.

Bill

On 12/24/2019 7:00 PM, Greg Blake via Fot wrote:
> [...]
> following this advice and they always come rolling across the track
> backwards following an unpredictable path usually collecting a few
> unsuspecting racers along the way.  Always go two feet in.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Dec 24, 2019, at 12:50 PM, David Gott <triumphsix@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Speaking of spinning the OD backwards, which it wonâ??t do, what
>> happens if you spin the car while overdrive is engaged? Probably my
>> biggest concern for running one of these in a race car...   I was
>> thinking Iâ??d use it on track and maybe autocross, but I think that is
>> ill advised now that I bring up that question.   Has anyone ever spun
>> and rolled backwards, with OD engaged?
>>
>> Dave G
>>

>> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>
>>
>> On Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 12:47 PM, Greg Blake
>> <gblake58tr3@icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>>     If this is for a race car, you might consider shiming the
>>     accumulator spring to get closer to 500psi.
>>
>>     Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>>     On Dec 24, 2019, at 10:51 AM, David Gott via Fot
>>>     <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>      I was able to test my overdrive by chucking a 1/2â?? electric
>>>     drill on the input shaft and turning the whole transmission.
>>>      (Make sure to spin the right direction!). Pretty sure I used
>>>     4th gear.   I was able to determine that my OD pressure is at
>>>     350 psi, so Iâ??ll have to shim the spring I guess.
>>>
>>>     Secondary question; the OD seemed to stick on me, but I did not
>>>     have a load on the output flange, due to being on the bench; Iâ??m
>>>     assuming this might be an issue?  Or would a load coax the OD to
>>>     releasing as appropriate?
>>>
>>>     Hopefully I donâ??t hijack your thread too much!
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>     Dave Gott
>>>     62 TR4 (â??Aâ?? type on the bench)
>>>
>>>     Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
>>>     <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>
>>>
>>>     On Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 11:25 AM, Jack Wheeler via Fot
>>>     <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>         I have tested overdrives like this for years.  My drive
>>>         motor only spins in one direction, which makes sure the
>>>         output shaft only spins in the same direction the shaft
>>>         would be spinning when the car is driven in a forward
>>>         speed.  Therefore, I don't know what would happen if you
>>>         spun it in the wrong direction.
>>>
>>>         Jack
>>>
>>>         On Monday, December 23, 2019, 10:05:53 PM EST, Glenn Franco
>>>         via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>>>

>>>         Merry Christmas
>>>         Quick Question
>>>         A friend of mine started testing his A-Type Overdrives by
>>>         back spinning the output flange (to the prop shaft) with a
>>>         pulley and electric motor.
>>>         I've seen this done by spinning the transmission INPUT shaft
>>>         with a pulley and electric motor but not from the rear.
>>>         Any chance of damaging the overdrive since the overrunning
>>>         clutch is only going to spin in the one direction, can it

  <head>
  </head>
      feet down.</p>
      Fot wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:D3B06E89-DCAB-4E52-AF86-DDF79F1130B3@icloud.com">
      Whenever you start to spin itâ??s two feet in. Iâ??ve been in a few
      situations where other drivers have tried to save a spin by not
      following this advice and they always come rolling across the
      track backwards following an unpredictable path usually collecting
      a few unsuspecting racers along the way.  Always go two feet in. <br>
          <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:triumphsix@yahoo.com";>&lt;triumphsix@yahoo.com&gt;</a> wrote:<br>
9]><xml><o:OfficeDocumentSettings><o:AllowPNG/><o:PixelsPerInch>96</o:PixelsPerInch></o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><![endif]-->
          Speaking of spinning the OD backwards, which it wonâ??t do, what
          happens if you spin the car while overdrive is engaged?
          Probably my biggest concern for running one of these in a race
          car...   I was thinking Iâ??d use it on track and maybe
          autocross, but I think that is ill advised now that I bring up
          that question.   Has anyone ever spun and rolled backwards,
          with OD engaged?
              moz-do-not-send="true">Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone</a><br>
              #715FFA; padding-top: 15px; margin-top: 0">On Tuesday,
              December 24, 2019, 12:47 PM, Greg Blake
              <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:gblake58tr3@icloud.com";>&lt;gblake58tr3@icloud.com&gt;</a>
wrote:</p>
                  shiming the accumulator spring to get closer to
                  500psi. <br clear="none">
                      AM, David Gott via Fot <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>&lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
                      wrote:<br clear="none">
                      I was able to test my overdrive by chucking a 1/2â??
                      electric drill on the input shaft and turning the
                      whole transmission.  (Make sure to spin the right
                      direction!). Pretty sure I used 4th gear.   I was
                      able to determine that my OD pressure is at 350
                      psi, so Iâ??ll have to shim the spring I guess.
                        me, but I did not have a load on the output
                        flange, due to being on the bench; Iâ??m assuming
                        this might be an issue?  Or would a load coax
                        the OD to releasing as appropriate?</div>
                        much!</div>
                        62 TR4 (â??Aâ?? type on the bench)<br clear="none">
                        <a rel="nofollow" shape="rect" target="_blank"
                          href="https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS";
                          moz-do-not-send="true">Sent from Yahoo Mail
                          for iPhone</a><br clear="none">

style="font-size:15px;color:#715FFA;padding-top:15px;margin-top:0;">On
                          Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 11:25 AM, Jack
                          Wheeler via Fot <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>&lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
                          wrote:</p>
                                class="yiv0957845862ydp7dbf0fe6yahoo-style-wrap"
                                style="font-family:Helvetica Neue,
                                Helvetica, Arial,
                                sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
                                  like this for years.  My drive motor
                                  only spins in one direction, which
                                  makes sure the output shaft only spins
                                  in the same direction the shaft would
                                  be spinning when the car is driven in
                                  a forward speed.  Therefore, I don't
                                  know what would happen if you spun it
                                  in the wrong direction.</div>
                                class="yiv0957845862ydpfd023d29yahoo_quoted"
id="yiv0957845862ydpfd023d29yahoo_quoted_7545444271">
                                  Neue', Helvetica, Arial,
                                  sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
                                    class="yiv0957845862yqt9559972606"
                                    id="yiv0957845862yqt71890">
                                      10:05:53 PM EST, Glenn Franco via
                                      Fot <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>&lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
                                      wrote: </div>

id="yiv0957845862ydpfd023d29yiv2459643629">
                                            testing his A-Type
                                            Overdrives by back spinning
                                            the output flange (to the
                                            prop shaft) with a pulley
                                            and electric motor.</div>
                                            spinning the
                                            transmission INPUT shaft
                                            with a pulley and electric
                                            motor but not from the rear.</div>
                                            the overdrive since the
                                            overrunning clutch is only
                                            going to spin in the one
                                            direction, can it lock up
                                            the overdrive?</div>
_______________________________________________<br clear="none">
                                      <a rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
                                        ymailto="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";
                                        target="_blank"
                                        href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";

moz-do-not-send="true">fot@autox.team.net</a><br
                                        clear="none">
                                      <a rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
                                        target="_blank"
                                        href="http://www.fot-racing.com";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br
                                        clear="none">
                                      Donate: <a rel="nofollow"
                                        shape="rect" target="_blank"
                                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br
                                        clear="none">
                                      Archive: <a rel="nofollow"
                                        shape="rect" target="_blank"
                                        href="http://autox.team.net/archive
                                        "
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive
                                      </a><a rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
                                        target="_blank"
                                        href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br
                                        clear="none">
                                      Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
                                        rel="nofollow" shape="rect"
                                        target="_blank"

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jwheeler1947@yahoo.com";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jwheeler1947@yahoo.com</a><br
                                        clear="none">

id="yiv0957845862yqt09620">_______________________________________________<br
[...]

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/triumphsix@yahoo.com";

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/triumphsix@yahoo.com</a>
                              id="yiv0957845862yqtfd20996"><br
                                clear="none">
                        id="yiv0957845862yqtfd45638">

                          clear="none">
href="http://www.fot-racing.com";>http://www.fot-racing.com</a></span><br
                          clear="none">
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a></span><br
                          clear="none">
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>
                          <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
                        <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/gblake58tr3@icloud.com";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/gblake58tr3@icloud.com</a></span>
                        id="yiv0957845862yqtfd71519"><br clear="none">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>