fot

Re: [Fot] Rear main rope seal alternatives?

To: DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Rear main rope seal alternatives?
From: Bob Kramer via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 12:42:46 -0500
Cc: Phil Gott via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>

--00000000000056cd4b05a5b359ef

Isn't the leak from the trans front oil seal a short term solution for
lubing the cross shaft? I have yet to keep one of these totally dry.

Bob Kramer

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 10:25 AM DAVE HOGYE via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> I recently disassembled the engine from my TR3 and the rear main area was
> dry.  This was my first TR engine build.  I used the orange RTV and
> carefully watched it just squeeze through gaps and cracks around the
> bearing cap as I installed the rope covered in RTV.  That is the only pla=
ce
> I used the orange RTV on the engine or anywhere else.  I made a rope
> install tool just like Kas suggests in his book.  What I did find was tha=
> the front engine plate was leaking between the plate and engine at the
> bottom.  Oil from this leak makes it's way all over the oil pan and drips
> off the bolts and back from there.  Also, my trans front seal was leaking
> and that slings fluid around inside the bell housing then drips out the
> hole at the bottom.  The slinging oil also finds it's way out around the
> clutch fork shaft exiting the bell housing.  These two leaks made it
> difficult to tell if the rear main was leaking or not.  I also found tran=
> fluid coming from one of the bolts holding the tail housing on.  These
> obviously need to be sealed up better than they were.  At least the rear
> main wasn't leaking.  I'll be more confident installing the rope seal thi=
> time around.
> Dave H.
> > On May 15, 2020 at 6:52 AM Phil Gott via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote=
:

> > Thanks to all who replied.
> >
> > I asked because we are doing a bottom end rebuild, and I=E2=80=99m very=
 worried
> that if any kind of goo gets down into the ring pack, it will stick the
> rings.
> > Thanks for the tips. The =E2=80=9Cstring=E2=80=9D of tips should be inc=
luded in this
> email. Some very clever!
> > Hope to see you in Ohio,
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On May 15, 2020, at 9:20 AM, Michael Moore <mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > =EF=BB=BFDid you get any responses to your question, I would also lik=
e to know
> if the is a less messy way to do it.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Mike
> > >
> > > Michael T. Moore, CPA
> > > 3255 West 26th Street
> > > Erie, PA 16506
> > >
> > > Phone:  814-616-8652  ext 100
> > > Fax:        888-865-5279
> > > Email:    mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com
> > >
> > > This electronic mail message contains confidential and legally
> privileged information intended only for the use of the recipient. If the
> reader of this message is not the intended recipient, the reader is hereb=
> notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of th=
is
> message is strictly prohibited and is hereby instructed to notify the
> sender immediately by return email and destroy this copy of this message.

signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr">Bob Kramer</=
ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 10:25 AM DAVE HOGYE via F=
ot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wro=
te:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px =
0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I recently d=
isassembled the engine from my TR3 and the rear main area was dry.=C2=A0 Th=
is was my first TR engine build.=C2=A0 I used the orange RTV and carefully =
watched it just squeeze through gaps and cracks around the bearing cap as I=
 installed the rope covered in RTV.=C2=A0 That is the only place I used the=
 orange RTV on the engine or anywhere else.=C2=A0 I made a rope install too=
l just like Kas suggests in his book.=C2=A0 What I did find was that the fr=
ont engine plate was leaking between the plate and engine at the bottom.=C2=
=A0 Oil from this leak makes it&#39;s way all over the oil pan and drips of=
f the bolts and back from there.=C2=A0 Also, my trans front seal was leakin=
g and that slings fluid around inside the bell housing then drips out the h=
ole at the bottom.=C2=A0 The slinging oil also finds it&#39;s way out aroun=
d the clutch fork shaft exiting the bell housing.=C2=A0 These two leaks mad=
e it difficult to tell if the rear main was leaking or not.=C2=A0 I also fo=
und trans fluid coming from one of the bolts holding the tail housing on.=
=C2=A0 These obviously need to be sealed up better than they were.=C2=A0 At=
 least the rear main wasn&#39;t leaking.=C2=A0 I&#39;ll be more confident i=
nstalling the rope seal this time around.=C2=A0 <br>
Dave H.<br>
&gt; On May 15, 2020 at 6:52 AM Phil Gott via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot=
@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Thanks to all who replied.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I asked because we are doing a bottom end rebuild, and I=E2=80=99m ver=
y worried that if any kind of goo gets down into the ring pack, it will sti=
ck the rings. <br>
&gt; Thanks for the tips. The =E2=80=9Cstring=E2=80=9D of tips should be in=
cluded in this email. Some very clever!<br>
&gt; Hope to see you in Ohio,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Sent from my iPhone<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; On May 15, 2020, at 9:20 AM, Michael Moore &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com" target=3D"_blank">mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com</a>&gt; wrot=
e:<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; =EF=BB=BFDid you get any responses to your question, I would also=
 like to know if the is a less messy way to do it.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Thanks<br>
&gt; &gt; Mike<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Michael T. Moore, CPA<br>
&gt; &gt; 3255 West 26th Street<br>
&gt; &gt; Erie, PA 16506<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Phone:=C2=A0 814-616-8652=C2=A0 ext 100<br>
&gt; &gt; Fax:=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 888-865-5279<br>
&gt; &gt; Email:=C2=A0 =C2=A0 <a href=3D"mailto:mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com"; targ=
et=3D"_blank">mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com</a><br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; This electronic mail message contains confidential and legally pr=
ivileged information intended only for the use of the recipient. If the rea=
der of this message is not the intended recipient, the reader is hereby not=
ified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this me=
ssage is strictly prohibited and is hereby instructed to notify the sender =
immediately by return email and destroy this copy of this message.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; -----Original Message-----<br>
&gt; &gt; From: Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot-bounces@autox.team.net"; targe=
t=3D"_blank">fot-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; On Behalf Of Phil Gott via =
Fot<br>
&gt; &gt; Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:19 PM<br>
&gt; &gt; To: Friends Of Triumph &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; =
target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Subject: [Fot] Rear main rope seal alternatives?<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Seems as if every time I use Permatex Aviation Cement to soak my =
rope seals the mess gets worse and worse. <br>
&gt; &gt; Is there a good alternative to Aviation Cement or to the rope sea=
ls entirely? I have tried RTV, but it is very hard to get it in there with =
no air gaps. Building another engine this week and am wondering about a bet=
ter way to do it.<br>
&gt; &gt; Phil Gott<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Sent from my iPhone<br>
&gt; &gt; _______________________________________________<br>
&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">fot@autox=
.team.net</a><br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"norefe=
rrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; &gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://=
www.team.net/pipermail/fot" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www=
.team.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>
&gt; &gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/opti=
ons/fot/mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://=
autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com</a><br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team=
.net</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_bl=
ank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" =
target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.t=
eam.net/pipermail/fot" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team=
.net/pipermail/fot</a><br>
&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/f=
ot/dlhogye@comcast.net" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/fot/dlhogye@comcast.net</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;<br>
/a><br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
t/rkramer56@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/fot/rkramer56@gmail.com</a><br>

--00000000000056cd4b05a5b359ef--