fot

Re: [Fot] Flywheel wt & crank harmonics -TR3/4

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>, "TeriAnn J. Wakeman" <tjwakeman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Flywheel wt & crank harmonics -TR3/4
From: Rick Parent via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 14:21:22 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_568960_1419254703.1590157282426

Everything resonates at it own natural frequency including us haha, and if =
your crank and flywheel are close in that particular freq you will have a p=
roblem so changing the weight will change the freq. subtracting weight does=
 help but to what measure on your application I can't say, adding weight ma=
y help but it could also have the effect of compounding the problem. I am p=
artial to using a front pulley as light and small as possible (no damper) a=
nd also a huge fan of light weight flywheels and small diameter clutches fo=
r this very reason. The most expensive thing you can do to help your the pr=
oblem is a super light crankshaft. I recently build a motor for a guy with =
a custom crank that knocked off 12 lbs and I could tell the difference on t=
he dyno before it ever went in the car, the typical vibrations were gone. I=
 asked the driver after his first session how he liked the motor and the on=
ly thing he kept saying was "it's so smooth" over and over, it audibly soun=
ded different on track as well, crazy. The really bad part is when the Harm=
onic frequency gets transferred to the valve train, then you will have a se=
rious disaster. 4 cylinders are known for this problem and some guys won't =
even run one on their Dyno and I personally have thrown more flywheels off =
on the Dyno than I would care to admit and this very problem has forced me =
to look at the options if for no other reason than to make my life easier. =
Not looking for work here but I would be willing to build a crank for anyon=
e wanting to take their stuff to the next level but it would cost about $30=
00.
Thanks, Rick
General (Mad Dog) Mattis"Be prepared to reverse decisions as new data comes=
 in, then replace assumptions=C2=A0with knowledge"
=20

    On Thursday, May 21, 2020, 03:43:54 PM EDT, TeriAnn J. Wakeman via Fot =
<fot@autox.team.net> wrote: =20
=20
  =20
Something I have wondered about for years.
=20
Does the weight of the flywheel affect the RPM and intensity of harmonics i=
nherent in a TR3/4 stock crank? I've never found an answer to that question=
.
=20
TeriAnn
=20
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

tt.net

 =20
------=_Part_568960_1419254703.1590157282426

=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px=
;"><div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Everything resonates at it o=
[...]
 dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Thanks, Rick</div><div class=3D"ydp6d160=
257signature"><div style=3D"font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-s=
       =20
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">

to:fot@autox.team.net" href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.ne=
e.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>Archive: <=
a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive " target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/archive </a><a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot"; target=3D"=