fot

[Fot] New? HS6 failure mode

To: Friends Of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] New? HS6 failure mode
From: Phil Gott <vfracing@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 18:50:04 -0400
While running my TR4A on a dyno the rear carburetor piston spun in the housing.
The little â??Lâ?? shaped guide that positions the piston came loose. The small
Screw (probably a Whitworth(?) size between our numbers 4 and 6 machine screws)
Apparently worked itâ??s way out If itâ??s hole and into (and hopefully out of)
the engine.  This screw is set into the carburetor body and held in place by a
split end - similar to a butterfly throttle screw.  I found the â??Lâ?? shaped
guide lodged into one of the breather holes in the carburetor body.  The screw
is visible at the front of the carb body if you remove the air dome and the
piston.
I have never serviced these screws: have overlooked them in fact. It would seem
advisable to remove these, clean them up and then Loctite them in place.
Another lesson learned the hard way....
Phil Gott

Sent from my iPhone