fot

Re: [Fot] [TR] TR2-3 electrical melt downs

To: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>, "John.Macartney@Ukpips.org.uk" <John.Macartney@Ukpips.org.uk>, "notakitcar@yahoo.com" <notakitcar@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] [TR] TR2-3 electrical melt downs
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 06:33:58 -0600
Cc: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>

--------------20DADAE79193BC266BF9E86B

On 6/25/2020 5:35 AM, DAVID MASSEY wrote:

> But then, I wasn't ham-strung by an accounting department.  My hat's
> off to the clever designers who did as well as they did given the
> budget they were given.

Cost is always an issue, but reliability should count, especially for
those driving the cars regularly.  Those desperate to maintain
originality, well, yeah, I understand that motive, but, really, the
improvements over the decades for just connectors and terminals is
dramatic.  Deutsch connectors are advertised as resisting moisture
intrusion even when submerged in four feet of water for an hour.  One of
the weak spots in the original harnesses were the bulkhead fittings.
Eventually those will leak in very wet conditions, but, waterproof
bulkhead connectors are now available from a variety of manufacturers,
and make an excellent modification everywhere that the harness passes
through a panel fitted with a grommet.

Tradition is fine, but old methods encourage old problems.  I still
recall Jaguar proudly announcing that its pre-prototype XJ220 had been
completely wired to (older) aircraft standards, only to watch an
electrical fire burn the car to the ground in the pits.

It doesn't take much for an electrical problem to reduce a vehicle to
junk.  At the bus company, we contracted someone to make a flasher for
us that met the specs of the infamous Chicago Transit Authority, and the
goddamned thing overheated and burned I don't how many buses to the
ground.  The one I had to strip and repair after an interior fire was
gutted right down to the floorboards, and the only thing that protected
the floorboards from catching fire was melted linoleum flooring....

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

--------------20DADAE79193BC266BF9E86B

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:860449053.2478819.1593084933425@mail.yahoo.com">
            accounting department.  My hat's off to the clever designers
            who did as well as they did given the budget they were
            given.</font></div>
      for those driving the cars regularly.  Those desperate to maintain
      originality, well, yeah, I understand that motive, but, really,
      the improvements over the decades for just connectors and
      terminals is dramatic.  Deutsch connectors are advertised as
      resisting moisture intrusion even when submerged in four feet of
      water for an hour.  One of the weak spots in the original
      harnesses were the bulkhead fittings.  Eventually those will leak
      in very wet conditions, but, waterproof bulkhead connectors are
      now available from a variety of manufacturers, and make an
      excellent modification everywhere that the harness passes through
      a panel fitted with a grommet.</p>
      still recall Jaguar proudly announcing that its pre-prototype
      XJ220 had been completely wired to (older) aircraft standards,
      only to watch an electrical fire burn the car to the ground in the
      pits.</p>
      vehicle to junk.  At the bus company, we contracted someone to
      make a flasher for us that met the specs of the infamous Chicago
      Transit Authority, and the goddamned thing overheated and burned I
      don't how many buses to the ground.  The one I had to strip and
      repair after an interior fire was gutted right down to the
      floorboards, and the only thing that protected the floorboards
      from catching fire was melted linoleum flooring....</p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....</pre>

--------------20DADAE79193BC266BF9E86B--

--===============1840813724143210023==

fot@autox.team.net