fot

Re: [Fot] Canopy question

To: Bill Dentinger <billdentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Canopy question
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 15:34:24 -0500
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

--------------FC06EE1442016A8B6CBE91E3

I used to have a cheapie 10 x 20 from Farm and Fleet that was the poles
/ canopy arrangement.  Was a pain to set up but it handled all weather
like a champ.  I use strong stakes in the ground, don't rely on weights
because I live in the land of thunderstorms.

Went to EZ-up brand for ease of setup, but found that it likes to catch
the wind more than my prior setup.  It doesn't pull the stakes out of
the ground but the wind load is a problem for the frame attachment
points (this is not the most expensive EZ-up, but not a cheapie), one of
them broke and I've taken it down in driving rain concerned about it
trying to make itself into something airborn.  Also water pools in the
canopy.  But it's great for shading from the sun.  The whole point is to
NOT have to go out in the driving rain because of my rain protection.  :)

What I'm hoping for is the durability of what you described but the ease
of setup (one person) of the EZ-up.  The EurMax is looking promising -
it seems like it would help if it had air vents in the dome to release
some of the wind load though.  Looks to be on sale for a reasonable
price at the moment.  Still pricey, but probably worth it in the long run.

- Tony

On 7/2/2020 3:12 PM, Bill Dentinger wrote:
> I always thought the EZ-up Canopy was convenient, looked nice, but was
> wimpy.  Even a flatuance issue could cause a problem.
>
> We preferred the traditional set up using HD electrical conduit for
> poles.  We had three sets, serving 2, 4, and 6 cars.  We used HD
> stakes (custom made from rebar, with HD washers welded to the side).
>  Serious stuff.
>
> Bill Dentinger
>
> Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
> Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com <http://mail.mobile.aol.com>
>
> On Thursday, July 2, 2020, Allen Washatko <awashatko@wi.rr.com> wrote:
>
>     See Paul Ricco
>
>     Sent from my iPhone
>
>     > On Jul 2, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com
>     >
>     > Has anyone run across a EZ-up style canopy that can actually
>     handle wind and rain?
>     >
>     > Thanks, Tony Drews
>     >
>     >
>     > http://www.fot-racing.com
>     >
>     > Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     > Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive
>     http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot
>     > Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/awashatko@wi.rr.com
>
>     >
>     >

--------------FC06EE1442016A8B6CBE91E3

  <head>
  </head>
      poles / canopy arrangement.  Was a pain to set up but it handled
      all weather like a champ.  I use strong stakes in the ground,
      don't rely on weights because I live in the land of thunderstorms.</p>
      catch the wind more than my prior setup.  It doesn't pull the
      stakes out of the ground but the wind load is a problem for the
      frame attachment points (this is not the most expensive EZ-up, but
      not a cheapie), one of them broke and I've taken it down in
      driving rain concerned about it trying to make itself into
      something airborn.  Also water pools in the canopy.  But it's
      great for shading from the sun.  The whole point is to NOT have to
      go out in the driving rain because of my rain protection.  :)<br>
      the ease of setup (one person) of the EZ-up.  The EurMax is
      looking promising - it seems like it would help if it had air
      vents in the dome to release some of the wind load though.  Looks
      to be on sale for a reasonable price at the moment.  Still pricey,
      but probably worth it in the long run.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:1069422137.1741262.1593720768852@mail.yahoo.com">
      I always thought the EZ-up Canopy was convenient, looked nice, but
      was wimpy.  Even a flatuance issue could cause a problem.
        conduit for poles.  We had three sets, serving 2, 4, and 6 cars.
         We used HD stakes (custom made from rebar, with HD washers
        welded to the side).  Serious stuff.<br>

style="font-family:HelveticaNeue-Light;color:#949494;font-size:11px;">Sent
              from AOL Mobile Mail<br>
              Get the new AOL app: <a
                style="font-family:HelveticaNeue-Light;font-size:11px;"
                href="http://mail.mobile.aol.com"; target="_blank"
                moz-do-not-send="true">mail.mobile.aol.com</a></div>
            2020, Allen Washatko <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"