fot

Re: [Fot] Best Head Gasket

To: mleccese1@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Best Head Gasket
From: yellow04 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 10:51:37 -0400
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Lots of information being tossed around here, I feel this comment is
missing...

The good folks that have chimed in here have solved their issue of
getting the wet liner TR motor head gasket to seal. There are many
solutions that work, but the important thing to realize is there are
variables to each solution. It's like each head gasket has it's own
recipe for success. Choose a head gasket and follow the recipe to the
letter and your head should seal just fine. Some recipe's are easy,
others require much more diligence. The crux of the issue is setting the
liner protrusion to the right height for the gasket being used.

Composite head gaskets will hide a multitude of sins when it comes to
liner protrusion, but may be hard to find a quality one that matches
your head, plus in theory they may not last as long and may not be as
robust.

Solid head gaskets require very tight tolerances on liner protrusion,
are more sensitive to techniques with sealant, and in my experience can
be a real pain to get the head off! (Thanks Bill!!!) But when used
correctly should be more bombproof than composite head gaskets, and you
can order the exact thickness you desire to meet compression ratio
requirements.

Bottom line to any new guy... Do not fall into the trap of asking 10
people what they do, then pick and choose steps from different
solutions. If you find someone who builds reliable engines, and copy
their solution to the letter, you stand a good chance of copying their
results.

Worked for me, just sayin'...

Henry

fot@autox.team.net