fot

Re: [Fot] Curt Johnston nomination

To: BILL DENTINGER <billdentin@aol.com>, David Gott <triumphsix@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Curt Johnston nomination
From: Curt Johnston via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 20:54:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_18521_637740112.1597550097764

Thanks Shawn, David and Bill for the nomination.

I wanted to give you a bit of background.  Back in the early-mid 1970's my =
Dad owned a Triumph TR3A that was my daily driver in High School.  The firs=
t car I purchased was a TR4 during my senior year in High School.  I rebuil=
t the TR4 engine and kept it in good condition.  The year I graduated from =
College, the convertible TR8 came out.  As a young Triumph fan, I liked the=
 look of the convertible and the Rover V8 in particular.  But I fully under=
stand why so many folks prefer the TR2-6 cars.  Since I've driven a TR3 and=
 TR4 daily, I know they are fantastic cars, but you always want what you co=
uldn't get back in the day.

I've owned wedges since the early 1990s and have four now; a fully restored=
 1980 TR8, a 1981 TR8 project car for my wife Debbie, and the two Huffaker =
wedges.  I own the race cars because a good friend of mine owns one of the =
original Factory Works Triumph TR7 V8 rally cars.  In 2016, I hung out with=
 him at the Sonoma Raceway Kastner Cup.  By the end of the weekend I knew I=
 had to join the fun.  I researched which Triumph model to buy or build, bu=
t I just couldn't get the Huffaker wedges out of my head.  I wanted a conve=
rtible race car, and t he Huffaker shop at Sonoma Raceway was just 35 minut=
es from my home.  I talked to Joe Huffaker and he gave me a tip about one o=
f the original TR8 convertibles.  It took about three months to find the ca=
r in a barn in Oregon.  That was in 2017.  Joe tried to convince me to buy =
the Huffaker TR7 before I found the TR8, but I really wanted the V8.  After=
 I started restoration on 8, I ended up getting the 7 as well.  It was a ju=
st a rolling chassis at the time.

In 2019, the restorations were completed and we wanted to participate in th=
e Kastner Cup at Buttonwillow.  I guess I've always appreciated the history=
 or story behind the cars, so my goal was to recreate the 1980 west coast T=
riumph factory sponsored SCCA race team.  I got to know John Mueller and in=
vited him to drive the TR7.  John is the son of Lee Mueller, the original d=
river of both Huffaker No. 11 wedges.  Since I hadn't driven in a vintage r=
ace, Joe Huffaker was to drive the TR8.  Many of you may know how that turn=
ed out.  But my goal of course was to drive the cars myself.  So the 2020 K=
astner Cup was my first shot, and it turned out about as well as one might =
expect. =20

With that said, I really want to make sure that we preserve the history and=
 heritage of Triumph race cars.  The Kastner Cup is absolutely critical.  S=
o I've offered to help out in any way I can.  I am so thankful to Kas and J=
oe Alexander for doing all of the heavy lifting to start and keep the Kastn=
er Cup rolling for the past 17 years.  Its a fantastic tribute to the Trium=
ph brand and Kas Kastner.

Thanks for the time, and your nomination to FOT.

Curt Johnston

>     On 08/15/2020 6:39 PM BILL DENTINGER <billdentin@aol.com> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>     I=E2=80=99ll second that as well.
>=20
>     Bill Dentinger
>=20
>=20
>     Sent from my iPhone
>=20
>=20
>         > > On Aug 15, 2020, at 6:05 PM, David Gott via Fot <fot@autox.te=
am.net> wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> >     >=20
>         > >         I=E2=80=99ll second for Curt!
> >=20
> >         Dave Gott
> >=20
> >=20
> >         Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone https://overview.mail.yahoo.com=
/?.src=3DiOS
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >         On Saturday, August 15, 2020, 8:52 PM, Shawn Frank via Fot <fot=
@autox.team.net> wrote:
> >=20
> >             > > >             Is Curt Johnston FOT yet? If not, I would=
 like to nominate him.
> > >=20
> > >             He is the custodian of the Huffaker wedges and a true Tri=
umph lover. He would be a great addition to the Friends of Triumph!
> > >=20
> > >             Can I get a second?=20
> > >=20
> > >             Shawn Frank
> > >             The Vintage Triumph Magazine - Editor
> > >             North American Triumphs (FKA Spitfire & GT6 Magazine) - O=
wner
> > >             Des Moines Concours d'Elegance - Recruiting Lead
> > >             Continued Legacy Photo - Owner
> > >             Iowa British Car Club
> > >             FOT/VTR#94692/NASS#746
> > >             Drive Away Cancer Iowa - Driver
> > >             515-339-4228
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >             '71 Triumph Spitfire MKIV "Gertrude"
> > >             '72 Triumph GT6 MK3
> > >             '65 Triumph TR4A "Johnny"
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >                 > > > >=20
> > >         > >         _______________________________________________
> >         fot@autox.team.net
> >=20
> >         http://www.fot-racing.com
> >=20
> >         Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> >         Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipe=
rmail/fot
> >         Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/b=
illdentin@aol.com
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >     >=20

------=_Part_18521_637740112.1597550097764

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
 color: #333333;">
avid and Bill for the nomination.</span>
 color: #333333;">
 color: #333333;">
e you a bit of background.&nbsp; Back in the early-mid 1970's my Dad owned =
a Triumph TR3A that was my daily driver in High School.&nbsp; The first car=
 I purchased was a TR4 during my senior year in High School.&nbsp; I rebuil=
t the TR4 engine and kept it in good condition.&nbsp; The year I graduated =
from College, the convertible TR8 came out.&nbsp; As a young Triumph fan, I=
 liked the look of the convertible and the Rover V8 in particular.&nbsp; Bu=
t I fully understand why so many folks prefer the TR2-6 cars.&nbsp; Since I=
've driven a TR3 and TR4 daily, I know they are fantastic cars, but you alw=
ays want what you couldn't get back in the day.</span>
 color: #333333;">
 color: #333333;">
es since the early 1990s and have four now; a fully restored 1980 TR8, a 19=
81 TR8 project car for my wife Debbie, and the two Huffaker wedges.&nbsp; I=
 own the race cars because a good friend of mine owns one of the original F=
actory Works Triumph TR7 V8 rally cars.&nbsp; In 2016, I hung out with him =
at the Sonoma Raceway Kastner Cup.&nbsp; By the end of the weekend I knew I=
 had to join the fun.&nbsp; I researched which Triumph model to buy or buil=
d, but I just couldn't get the Huffaker wedges out of my head.&nbsp; I want=
ed a convertible race car, and t</span>
p at Sonoma Raceway was just 35 minutes from my home.&nbsp; I talked to Joe=
 Huffaker and he gave me a tip about one of the original TR8 convertibles.&=
nbsp; It took about three months to find the car in a barn in Oregon.&nbsp;=
 That was in 2017.&nbsp; Joe tried to convince me to buy the Huffaker TR7 b=
efore I found the TR8, but I really wanted the V8.&nbsp; After I started re=
storation on 8, I ended up getting the 7 as well.&nbsp; It was a just a rol=
ling chassis at the time.</span>
 color: #333333;">
 color: #333333;">
storations were completed and we wanted to participate in the Kastner Cup a=
t Buttonwillow.&nbsp; I guess I've always appreciated the history or story =
behind the cars, so my goal was to recreate the 1980 west coast Triumph fac=
tory sponsored SCCA race team.&nbsp; I got to know John Mueller and invited=
 him to drive the TR7.&nbsp; John is the son of Lee Mueller, the original d=
river of both Huffaker No. 11 wedges.&nbsp; Since I hadn't driven in a vint=
age race, Joe Huffaker was to drive the TR8.&nbsp; Many of you may know how=
 that turned out.&nbsp; But my goal of course was to drive the cars myself.=
&nbsp; So the 2020 Kastner Cup was my first shot, and it turned out about a=
s well as one might expect.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>
 color: #333333;">
 color: #333333;">
 I really want to make sure that we preserve the history and heritage of Tr=
iumph race cars.&nbsp; The Kastner Cup is absolutely critical.&nbsp; So I'v=
e offered to help out in any way I can.&nbsp; I am so thankful to Kas and J=
oe Alexander for doing all of the heavy lifting to start and keep the Kastn=
er Cup rolling for the past 17 years.&nbsp; Its a fantastic tribute to the =
Triumph brand and Kas Kastner.</span>
 color: #333333;">
 color: #333333;">
time, and your nomination to FOT.</span>
 color: #333333;">
 color: #333333;">
span>