fot

Re: [Fot] Advance BTDC for 1296 Spit?

To: Bud Rolofson <levilevi@comcast.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Advance BTDC for 1296 Spit?
From: Greg Hilyer via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 15:10:02 -0700
Hi Bud,
I canâ??t speak to a 12.5 1296 but I can speak to tuning for altitude. I do a
fair amount of dyno tuning at 5500â?? here in Albuquerque. Be it a 40hp Formula
Vee or a 500hp V8, if the engine was properly timed at sea level Iâ??ll usually
end up 4-5 degrees advanced from where it was. Iâ??ll go up 2 degrees per pull
until the power goes backwards and then set it for peak power minus maybe one
degree for safety sake. The one caveat is to remember to dial it back when
going to the lowlands!
Starting at 48(!) degrees and backing down sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Must be hell on starters too - if it will even crank over with that much timing.
A chassis dyno is your friend and doesnâ??t lie.
People seem to think itâ??s expensive but thatâ??s really not the case - maybe
my dyno guy treats me exceptionally well, but I can get two â??base-lineâ??
pulls for $40 (and sometimes thatâ??s all Iâ??ll do for the session) and rarely
over $150 for extensive tuning (8-10 pulls.
My $.02 worth,
Greg â??Lunkerâ?? Hilyer
Albuquerque NM