fot

Re: [Fot] O/D Gearbox

To: Erik Jacobsen <kekjacobsen@yahoo.com>, Erik Jacobsen via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] O/D Gearbox
From: DAVE HOGYE via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 07:15:45 -0700 (PDT)

------=_Part_969252_1591544682.1690812945873

Yes on what Chuck said.  That is the common failure of the earlier non-syncro
first gear transmissions.  Especially for racing, the later case is a must
have.  But you would still have the o.d. issues.
Dave H.
p.s. if you have leaks, as a last resort, try to catch them with absorbent
material and not drip freely to the pavement and race track.

> On 07/31/2023 4:34 AM PDT Erik Jacobsen via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>

> FoT,
> After the post-race work on the TR3, I found that the A type O/D gearbox has
> a rather significant crack in the case near the bell housing. It's been
> welded before, so additional welding is not looking promising. Like most A
> type units, it leaks like a sieve and this one seems to only intermittently
> engage. Therefore, I'm considering going to a 5-speed set up. Any experience
> with either the HVDA (Toyota based) or the Vitesse (Miata based) units? I'm a
> fan of originality, but I'm also tired of fighting the fun of O/D units and
> the fact that getting one properly rebuilt in the US seems to be very
> difficult.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jake Jacobsen

------=_Part_969252_1591544682.1690812945873

<!doctype html>
 <head>
 </head>
#333333;">
said.&nbsp; That is the common failure of the earlier non-syncro first gear
transmissions.&nbsp; Especially for racing, the later case is a must
have.&nbsp; But you would still have the o.d. issues.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>
helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
helvetica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
leaks, as a last resort, try to catch them with absorbent material and not drip
freely to the pavement and race track.&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>
    On 07/31/2023 4:34 AM PDT Erik Jacobsen via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt;
     After the post-race work on the TR3, I found that the A type O/D gearbox
has a rather significant crack in the case near the bell housing. It's been
welded before, so additional welding is not looking promising. Like most A type
units, it leaks like a sieve and this one seems to only intermittently engage.
Therefore, I'm considering going to a 5-speed set up. Any experience with
either the HVDA (Toyota based) or the Vitesse (Miata based) units? I'm a fan of
originality, but I'm also tired of fighting the fun of O/D units and the fact
that getting one properly rebuilt in the US seems to be very difficult.
     &nbsp;
     Thanks!
     &nbsp;
     Jake Jacobsen