fot

[Fot] Kas Kastner Sailing Society

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Kas Kastner Sailing Society
From: Greg Hilyer via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 22:06:14 -0600
The charter members of the newly formed KKSS have taken our conversation off
list so as not to pollute things with non Triumph stuff.
But I though Iâ??d share this nun the less;

Us Hilyerâ??s have a long rap sheet when it comes to boats.
My dad and I made the front page of the Seattle Times by abandoning a burning
ship (18â?? speedboat) and leaving it adrift and thoroughly engulfed in flames
in Kirkland (WA) Harbor.
A few years after that my 10 year older half brother and I took a 17â?? rental
daysailer out on Lake Champlain NY. At the age of 12 I said â??Bruce, those
whitecaps look a bit muchâ?? But since he was 10 years my elder, I differed to
his superior knowledge. We got towed back in keel up and mast down.
When I came of age I started my own legacyâ?¦ Two speedboats at the bottom of
Lake Washington 1 year apart to the day (Seafair Hydroplane races).
3rd boat the following year was a flatbottom, Corvette powered V-drive. Sitting
in a marina restaurant someone came running in asking who owned the hot-rod
sinking at the dock. Saved that one.
Our current powerboat is a 1974 Thunderbird Formula (first year for the name
Formula) and Iâ??m sorry to say I scared Connie pretty bad (and that gal
donâ??t scare easily) by getting caught out in sudden and vicious surprise
thunderstorm with zero visibility and 50mph winds in Elephant Butte Reservoir
here in New Mexico. Came back from that one unscathed but very wet.
My most recent powerboating was at that same reservoir with a customers 600hp
semi-V jet boat. Once I got it running right the owner scared me bad enough at
about 65mph that I demanded he shut it down. We switched seats and the both of
us were  comfortable at 90ish with me at the helm.
All I want out of Mirage is some â??smooth sailing/cruisingâ?? in the San Juan
Islands in September.
Thatâ??s not asking too much is it?
Lunker