IR Hotsync

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: IR Hotsync
From: "Saucier, Glenn A." <gasaucier@NMCCO.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:52:06 -0500
This may not be the appropriate board for this but I'm sure that someone out
there is doing this....

I'm having difficulty in HotSyncing my Palm IIIc with my laptop (IBM
ThinkPad 600) via InfraRed port.  The cabled option works like a charm, so I
know that the issue must be related to the infrared setup.  My infrared
device is mapped to COM4 (as indicated from Infrared Monitor on the laptop).
HotSync Manager is set to local hot sync with COM4 selected.  The Palm IIIc
is set for IR HotSync.

When I place the Palm near the IR port on the laptop, both devices recognize
each other.  This is indicated on the laptop via infrared monitor and on the
Palm by a pop up screen with message "Waiting for Sender...".  To me, this
says that the IR devices are working properly.  When I try to launch HotSync
from the Palm, it hangs for several minutes and finally comes back with a
message saying "The connection between your handheld computer and the
desktop could not be established.  Please check your setup and try again."

Predictably, when I reported this problem to Palm support, they blamed the
setup problem on the laptop.  I'm afraid that if I call IBM, they will say
that I have a problem with my Palm.  Any help that any of you might be able
to provide would be greatly appreciated.