Auuugh!!! Stalled...

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Auuugh!!! Stalled...
From: "Big Sixer" <healey@ledwith.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 21:16:38 -0400
Just when I thought it was safely tuned.  Put the air cleaners on, adjusted
the choke and went for a drive tonight. Spent 10 minutes stalled at a stop
sign. I should have known since the car was running rough right out of the
garage.  I thought it was just cold.

Choke or no choke, it just wouldn't start. The engine would catch, overrun the
starter then die.  Finally, for no particular reason, with the choke on, it
started and idled high. But no power.

I had this happen once and it was the dwell - the points had slipped almost
closed.  But my dwell meter reads 38 degrees, which is where it was this past
weekend.

Back in the garage, it is still missing badly.

Valves are right, timing is right, points ok.  Carbs tuned ok.  It just won't
idle.  I would guess vacuum leak but not on this car (no vacuum assisted
brakes).

Any suggestions.

This weekend reminded me on why I love to drive my car. Tonight reminded me of
why I had to rebuild it.

Ryan
BJ7